platypus pretest braid

Started by wallacewt, January 17, 2011, 11:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

for those that havent heard,platypus aust;have released pretest braid.could make other braids obsolete.i dont know if is accepted yet by igfa but if it is you might as well fish it.a record fish could be just around the corner.only 1 colour,white at the moment.it wont take long for the others to catch up.its on sale in the usa.it comes in 150yd,300yd,500yd,1000m spools

6kg(0.09mm pe 0.3)followed by 8kg 10kg 15kg 24kg and37kg(0.33mm pe4) 15kg sells for $100/300m

aus bass

I hope platypus has it well tested if it is to be IGFA rated. Their current line up of braids break well over their stated rating.

Their 2lb breaks at 8.55lb, the 6lb breaks at 10.96lb, the 8lb breaks at 14.36lb, etc, etc, etc.

Good line if your after something on light line, but for records i'd want it tested prior to using it.

Here is a link to the guy who tests braid breaking strains mentioned above. Very informative website. The bloke is Aussie so it is focused on the lines we see here in Aus but most are now universal.

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

wallacewt

i did see 3 tests done on the new stuff and they all broke under.6@5.3 8@6.5 10@9.something.be good if it is accepted

BigT

I've got some I just loaded on a couple of reels too. Pre test means just that...

It's a lot thinner than most braids for a given breaking strain but that's just because nearly all the braids you can buy break well above their stated breaking strains.

It's the strangest thing in fishing... if people buy braid and it breaks at what it says they complain. You'll often hear of 'brand x' braid being better because their 20lb breaks at 35 where another breaks at 30. It's developed that way because it started as a marketing tool to help educate us all about how strong gelspun lines are. We (sports fishos) have come to demand inaccuracy in labeling.

More power to Platypus... I for one wouldn't complain if all braid was exactly what it said it was.

Cheers, Slinky
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Bryan Young

And it is not just braids...It comes from mono and fluorocarbon strength ratings as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

aus bass

Quote from: BigT on January 18, 2011, 06:59:35 AM

More power to Platypus... I for one wouldn't complain if all braid was exactly what it said it was.

Here here. Inaccuracy with line breaking strains is a personal peeve of mine.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

wallacewt

Quote from: wallacewt on January 17, 2011, 11:11:51 AM
for those that havent heard,platypus aust;have released pretest braid.could make other braids obsolete.i dont know if is accepted yet by igfa but if it is you might as well fish it.a record fish could be just around the corner.only 1 colour,white at the moment.it wont take long for the others to catch up.its on sale in the usa.it comes in 150yd,300yd,500yd,1000m spools

6kg(0.09mm pe 0.3)followed by 8kg 10kg 15kg 24kg and37kg(0.33mm pe4) 15kg sells for $100/300m
i contacted platypus,havent heard back yet,and also ansa(australian national sportfishing ####;)mr ron poole of ansa told me if the platypus pretest spool has the 3 signatures on it they would accept it.the 3 signatures verify that the line has been tested 3 times and passed the stated breaking strain of the line.tried the local shops today and no one has it in stock yet.bigt could you be so kind and have a look and let us know.  cheers

wallacewt

Quote from: aus bass on January 18, 2011, 02:03:30 AM
I hope platypus has it well tested if it is to be IGFA rated. Their current line up of braids break well over their stated rating.

Their 2lb breaks at 8.55lb, the 6lb breaks at 10.96lb, the 8lb breaks at 14.36lb, etc, etc, etc.

Good line if your after something on light line, but for records i'd want it tested prior to using it.

Here is a link to the guy who tests braid breaking strains mentioned above. Very informative website. The bloke is Aussie so it is focused on the lines we see here in Aus but most are now universal.

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm
hi aus bass,just had a quick look at pcwi site.gd site. ill compare the b/s lines to sportfishingmag tests done in the usa.because i like this sort of stuff.they tested 73 brands,71 failed,thats not surprising.even pretest lines with signatures fail but they have to use something,only answer is everybody use the same brand,b/s etc;which is not possible.still wouldnt stop cheats.cheers m8

aus bass

No prob mate. i find the pwci site a wealth of info. Be interested in your findings.

Cheers.

wallacewt

i found another one,no signatures on it, SUNLINE castaway,pretest braid,igfa rating,i dont think it means anything without the signatures.does anybody out there know

qcguy4198

Quote from: aus bass on January 19, 2011, 10:51:49 AM
Quote from: BigT on January 18, 2011, 06:59:35 AM

Here here. Inaccuracy with line breaking strains is a personal peeve of mine.

Here too. Perhaps we are intended to read the posted line strength as "minimum" rather than "actual"...??

Norcal Pescador

I use Cuda brand [mono] fishing line at times and their lines exceed the published ratings. At least they have the integrity to state on their labels that the lines do not meet IGFA standards.

http://www.cudafishingline.com/

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD