Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

What you have looks all correct except the head plate... it should say "Silver Beach." It later became known as a "99."
The numbers on the bottom (linen line capacity) are indicative of a pre war silver beach.  The 99 came out in the late forties I believe.
Get those screws out and put in some new (era correct) screws and a new head plate (not too easy to find) and it would be an all original late 30's Silver Beach.
Enjoy your restoration,
Dom

Fishy247

Thanks Dom, I figured it was prewar because it had no numbers. I've opened it up and the internals are in pretty good shape once I got the old grease and verdigris off the chrome. What screws are you referring to? The ones on the tail plate?

broadway

Yep, the tailplate screws look like they need some love or to be replaced and the holes could use some, too ;)
Stay fishy and have fun,
Dom

Maxed Out

Since we are on the 99 subject, I stumbled onto a mid 50's 99 several months ago and the box & catalog are a little worn, but the reel looks unused and unhandled. The price was too good to walk away from
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

This particular 99 has very non typical Penn logo. Penn had "pat'd" in all the logo's but this logo just says "Penn silver beach 99". I'm pretty certain Penn dropped the "silver beach" from this logo in the 60's and then added pat'd to the logo

basto

That is in beautiful condition.
You might be able to date mine. It has the same logo.
thanks
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Maxed Out

Quote from: basto on July 08, 2018, 10:08:57 PM
That is in beautiful condition.
You might be able to date mine. It has the same logo.
thanks
Basto

Basto, your looks to have no visible part numbers ....total guess would be1949/50

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

thorhammer

Just an early warhorse 114 with externally accessible drags and my favorite butterscotch grip. I had to replace clamp but had some left over from Cortez upgrades so net zero. The rod is crapppp but for $20 I'll always snag this one. Inside was nice, with steel main, and it deserved a good clean and lube.

Maxed Out

A very solid winch John, and $20 is darn good bang for your buck. Money leftover to build a decent rod for it

Ted

mo65

Yeah...excellent way to spend a 20 spot...great buy John. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George6308

My Penn Silver Beach 99 which I purchased in the late 60's from Herman-Brooks in the Roosevelt Mall still has on its side plate "Penn 99 made in USA". Its has never been used.

thorhammer

Maxed Out

Beauty George.....50 years is a long time to hang onto any  reel.

.....of course now it isn't nearly as common and in this pristine condition is nearly impossible to find.

Ted

Mattman NZ

Scored this 9/0 on our local Trademe auction site - just gave it a quick clean and lube but no box or paper work can anyone give me a rough idea on what year it was made ? - all parts are numbered has steel main and pinion 3 stack asbestos drag washers solid chromed brass - bronze spool .

Rgds

Matt...