Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

The Great Maudu

Post a pic basto. I'd like to see a narrowed 3/0

basto

Hi Maudu

This is my narrowed 3/0

Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Maxed Out

Solid reel basto. The 2/0 and 3/0 sideplates are identical other than the # in the logo.

The 2/0 has always been my favorite senator.

- Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Quote from: 54bullseye on January 24, 2017, 04:04:14 AM
The reel isn't mine I wish it was !  Brian and Mike have already seen it. It did clean up nice what a find !!  John

That's a beauty !!  I believe that makes (4) first gen 16/0 known to exist.  Mega rare !!

The Great Maudu

Nice looking reel basto. Looks ready to go battle

steelfish

Quote from: basto on January 24, 2017, 06:33:57 AM
Hi Maudu

This is my narrowed 3/0

Basto

beautiful reel, I thought the only way to narrowing a 3/0 was with a tib kit (frame and spool)
can you tell me which spool and which posts did you used on yout narrow convertion please?
The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

It looks like Basto narrowed his 3/0 down to a 2/0 using basic Penn parts.

Another way to narrow a 3/0 is, 99 seat, 65 spool and posts. That gives you an in between size 2.5/0 senator.

Here is a shot of 3/0, 2.5/0, and 2/0.

basto

Hi Steelfish

I narrowed mine with an alloy spool from Scotts, but I think they have discontinued them now.....some posts from Scotts and found a place in Australia that had a 2/0 stand. Took a long time to find a stand.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

broadway

John, tell your friend, Welcome to the club... that makes #4.
Thats one heck of a rare find... I paid handsomely! ::)
Ted, do you have any reels that don't blind us? What a beauty!
Thanks
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteA good friend of mine who has a beautiful collection of big game reels found a real jewel the other day when looking at a collection he wanted to buy. Most of the reels were kept in the house high and dry but a few were in the garage on shelves most of them corroded and dirty. I guess some had been there 40 years or more and even worse the garage was less than a mile from the ocean so salt was a factor !!! To you serious Penn collectors you will know it right away !! First two pics are how it was found then two after it was cleaned !!!  What a beauty !!!  I will let Mike answer any questions he knows more about Penn's than I ever will !!  It is a 16/0  enjoy !!   John Taylor

Yes John, that is #4 and #4 is a Number One in condition. It is not for sale, the owner has many very special reels and loves his collection deeply, so this reel is going on the shelf and I am on the lookout for #5. Sometimes I feel the search is more fun that the ownership................<:O)

coastal_dan

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 25, 2017, 06:11:16 AM
Yes John, that is #4 and #4 is a Number One in condition. It is not for sale, the owner has many very special reels and loves his collection deeply, so this reel is going on the shelf and I am on the lookout for #5. Sometimes I feel the search is more fun that the ownership................<:O)

Truth! ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bill B

I agree with that...the hunt is sometimes better than the catch..... ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 24, 2017, 06:10:32 PM

Another way to narrow a 3/0 is, 99 seat, 65 spool and posts. That gives you an in between size 2.5/0 senator.

thanks Ted, that will make my 3/0 a nice project 2.5/0 or 2/0 would be cool

Quote from: basto on January 24, 2017, 08:16:44 PM
Hi Steelfish

I narrowed mine with an alloy spool from Scotts, but I think they have discontinued them now.....some posts from Scotts and found a place in Australia that had a 2/0 stand. Took a long time to find a stand.
Basto

thanks buddy, I will see what I can find and then start the real search for the missing and hard to find parts
The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

Quote from: steelfish on January 26, 2017, 04:58:00 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on January 24, 2017, 06:10:32 PM

thanks Ted, that will make my 3/0 a nice project 2.5/0 or 2/0 would be cool

Quote from: basto on January 24, 2017, 08:16:44 PM
Hi Steelfish

Basto

thanks buddy, I will see what I can find and then start the real search for the missing and hard to find parts

What parts do you need ?? We probably have them here on the forum, so don't wander too far on your parts search.

-Ted

Bill B

Picked up a piece of history.....a Penn 249....not a very sexy reel, pure knuckle buster...no anti reverse, no drags, plastic spool, fresh water stand stamped 200yds #15.....as simple of a reel as Penn could make, this is a clean example of a non-numbered reel (Wooohooo my second non-numbered reel!!!). But the surprise was the non-insulated copper wire this was spooled with and surprisingly not corroded ....I seem to remember a post where the author spoke of the Army using them to spool communication wire....maybe you could speak up again.....Bill

Ohh yeah, my ebay coffee can 149 showed up too and all the parts are there....wooohooo ;D ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!