Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Quoten what year did Penn quit production of the 49A ?  Those two spools from 40's - 50's have the same "webbing" ...or LACK of webbing, that I've seen on the "regular" 49 (and 149) spools. And I'm sure you're correct about the design change ,that it was to correct the "monofilament breakage" problem.

The need for the 49 A was created by the need to have a high line capacity reel, light weight with a fast retrieve. I do not know for sure but I believe for all practical purposes, that the creation of the High Speed Special Senator reels with aluminum spools made the 49 A obsolete. Only my opinion, but I do not see much evidence of the 49 A reels being sold after the mid 1980's.

AC49

Crow I agree as I have seen the same webbing on various Penn spools through the years namely the 49 and even recently an old mottled brown Penn 85 spool.

Mike the youngest boxed 49A reels I have came with catalog 41B (1986) and even a couple with catalog 89B (1989) but I'm not sure that helps tie down anything ?

So the mid 1980's sounds about right.

Regards
AC49

Crow

Thanks, again...for the information !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

.......any half decent anniversary reel is getting tough to find these days........so I built my own from scratch  :)

It is far from perfect, but that's just fine with me
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AC49

Very nice Ted. Great work  :)

Regards
AC49

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

I don't think that one is "far from perfect" Ted...it's closer than mine...fantastic reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

broadway

Good choice on the red handle... she's a beauty!
To the plinth she goes,
Dom

Donnyboat

Beautiful reel Ted, to good to fish with, love the external drag with the shiny top hat, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

Thanks for showing that Ted.
Steve

Penn Chronology

Beautiful build Ted!! Better than new.............

milne

I like that Ted !
beautiful build

Col