Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

I wouldn't use WD, especially if the project pile is large, it could be there nearly forever.

WD turns to varnish. I pulled a .45 from a safety deposit box and it was locked up good. I actually posted these pics on another site earlier today, someone suggested a guy hose down the internals of a generator carburetor with it when putting it up for the season.  :o

mo65

It's a great solvent...but a terrible lubricant.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

About the only thing I use WD-40 for is a light spray after servicing a reel, to remove excess exterior grease, finger-prints, and such.

Spray, wipe down, and put the reel into a cloth drawstring bag.

That's it --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

So, what would you recommend to use as a "stabilizer" ? Something to use to prevent corrosion from getting worse in the 3-6 month period before I get  chance to do complete tear down and clean up.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

milne

From my perspective Crow, I have used WD40 to give a quick squirt and leave it for that period of time till I got to it and completely stripped it down
It can leave a tarnish if left over a period of time, but it probably is better than not doing anything at all.
  I often open the reel up, rag it down, give it a good squirting of WD40 and pop it to one side. I have left reels for up to 4-5 months and gone back to them
and had no issues. The thing is, that your going to scrub and clean up the reel eventually anyhow's and WD40 certainly isn't going to harm anything.
Once I finally get back to the reel and clean it up properly, I grease it up, I don't use WD40 as a long term lubricant/preserver.
But that's just me,,  I figure that something is better than nothing at all.
Long term storage, different story........

Col

oc1

I use it all the time because it is in a pressurized can.  LPS-1 is pretty much the same stuff; also in a spray can.  The pressure spray will dissolve and wash gunk out of the cervices.  There should be a micro pressure washer that you could load with any solvent or high-tech lube you want to blast the gunk away.  Oh, oh.... I got an idea.
-steve

xjchad

Quote from: oc1 on October 17, 2019, 03:04:36 AM
I use it all the time because it is in a pressurized can.  LPS-1 is pretty much the same stuff; also in a spray can.  The pressure spray will dissolve and wash gunk out of the cervices.  There should be a micro pressure washer that you could load with any solvent or high-tech lube you want to blast the gunk away.  Oh, oh.... I got an idea.
-steve

Love you're ideas Steve, can't wait to see how it pans out!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

Corrosion X, which every reel tech should have, or better yet, Corrosion Block, which is heavier, for your purpose. I really like Ballistol as well, and use it on firearms, but it's never mentioned here.

John

mo65

Quote from: Crow on October 16, 2019, 10:45:00 PM
    So, what would you recommend to use as a "stabilizer" ? Something to use to prevent corrosion from getting worse in the 3-6 month period before I get  chance to do complete tear down and clean up.

It will take longer than that to varnish. Besides...even if it does turn to varnish...it ain't no big deal. Varnished WD-40 easily washes off with a spray of fresh WD-40. It's as simple as this, just don't use the stuff as oil, it's a poor lubricant. It has a ton of other great uses though.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sabaman1

JIM

TRS

Steve

Some auto automotive parts washers have an attached hose, my neighbors is awesome for a first clean on reels, before finding this site and it's wealth of information, I used to blast reels with doing as little disassembly as possible, the results were pretty impressive.
They call it fishing, not catching

Donnyboat

I find INOX mx4, not to bad, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

54bullseye

Crow

Yeah, I'm thinking the WD will do what I'm asking of it......just trying to "arrest" things, until spring. I'm sure, as a "corrosion eliminator", it's not very affective, but, by giving the "crusty" areas a good spraying....which should eliminate  both the moisture and the oxygen from it....it should, at least "stabilize " things until spring.

had another couple boxes arrive, in today's mail:
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

Box #2:

the 49 is a "rather' old example, and the LB60 has a drilled stand. There were a couple other reels in this box...an Ocean City "bay city", and an old Phlueger level wind.