Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Hi Ted,
          That is crazy !!!   I luv it.
         I wonder what that arm was off, I'm not familiar with all the models, but wow, great find, very unusual.
   I too, sort of like the "unusual" and of course the resin bell handles....

I just cleaned up the 65 and sat there with my later one, with a torpedo handle and thought to myself, the rings and reel seat are a straight swap, spools are different, one with a hole the other with a post, but I could make the older one way nicer with a part swap. BUT, I decided to keep them both original, I kinda don't mind all over patina, it suits the reel, I don't sell any of my reels, so I left it be. It shines a wee bit more now, but not that much difference. It has about 20 plus seconds of free spool, how good is that for a pretty well used 38 ish reel, I'm impressed anyhow's.

But Ted, that handle rocks, absolutely luv it, great score.....

Col

Col

Crow

That's a pretty, neat handle , Ted !! Tell us the "tale", even if it IS a looong one !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Saw this custom rig in a shop the other day, thought you sharker guys would enjoy it. Didn't see exactly, but looks like 16/0 or even 20/0, but it's a big one. Sorry for the shaky photo.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Crow on December 14, 2019, 12:23:32 PM
That's a pretty, neat handle , Ted !! Tell us the "tale", even if it IS a looong one !

The oddball handle came from eBay many moons ago. The seller said his dad was employed at the Penn plant and made 3 of these for himself. He said it was early 1950's time frame. They ended up in a junk drawer and never got used. The other 2 are deep in a Penn collection. The blade is almost 8" long. It's definitely an oddball

Here is a shot with a couple items for size comparison
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Benni3

That is cool,,,,, 8) and the history,,,,,, ;D

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe oddball handle came from eBay many moons ago. The seller said his dad was employed at the Penn plant and made 3 of these for himself. He said it was early 1950's time frame. They ended up in a junk drawer and never got used. The other 2 are deep in a Penn collection. The blade is almost 8" long. It's definitely an oddball

Interesting story. I wonder what the mechanic's name was. There was one particular guy at Penn that was responsible for much of the innovation and experimentation. That would be the same guy that led the group of employees out of the factory to start the offshoot company that never was named, "Atlantic".

Many odd items were made at Penn. I wonder if anyone here has seen one of these anti-backlash devices. I was playing with one at a show a few weeks ago. They were made at Penn in the 1950's.

broadway

That backlash is a Penn factory product?  Never heard of or seen anything like that made by Penn.
What show were you at, Mike?
Thanks for the show and tell,
Dom
PS- the guy's name with the long arm handle was John, but I don't remember his last name.

foakes

Here is one of mine out of the bins -- on an old 145, Mike --

It is quite involved -- and works very well when casting.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21590.0

Here is the designer, inventor, and original holder of the Patent from 1952 --

John Pasanen  .  /www.google.com/patents/US2607547

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

We've discussed those anti-backlash devices here before.  I do not think Penn invented the concept.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteWe've discussed those anti-backlash devices here before.  I do not think Penn invented the concept.

No doubt Penn did not invent the concept. Penn is experimenting with the concept, which originates from smaller fresh water reels.

QuoteHere is one of mine out of the bins -- on an old 145, Mike --

That is a fine one. We have to talk about whether you might want to part with that.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat backlash is a Penn factory product?  Never heard of or seen anything like that made by Penn.
What show were you at, Mike?
Thanks for the show and tell,
Dom
PS- the guy's name with the long arm handle was John, but I don't remember his last name.

I believe that is a Penn experimental. There are a few of them around and the quality is very high. I tried the one at the show and it worked perfectly. The show was at the Firemen's Pavilion in Lindenhurst. They have been having that show out there every year for many years. I have going to it for at least 10 years, maybe more.. Used to be in the American Legion Hall or something like that, but that building was knocked down. I did a posting about it on my Facebook page. It used to be a much better show. Many of the old time collectors are gone now. More like a Flea Market but there are still some collectors that show up and I always have some old friends that sell at this show. I try to make it every year. Check out my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009015633989

You have to scroll down to November 30 to find the posting.

John? Ok that is not the man I was thinking about.

broadway

Thanks for the heads up on the flea market, Mike.  I'll check it out.
Why would Penn put an anti backlash on one of their reels?  All ya need to do is thumb the spool or tighten the side bearing/bushing.
Best,
Dom

oc1

Quote from: broadway on December 16, 2019, 03:45:09 PM
Why would Penn put an anti backlash on one of their reels?  All ya need to do is thumb the spool or tighten the side bearing/bushing.
You need variable braking.  The cast control knob on the side plate applies a fixed amount of pressure.  Good casters (I am not one) vary their thumb pressure at different points during the cast.  The anti-backlash gizmo also varies it's pressure on the spool at different points during the cast.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for the heads up on the flea market, Mike.  I'll check it out.
Best,
Dom

I do not like tightening the spool bearing for anti-backlash. especially on a Squidder. I have seen more than one head plate broken out from over-tightening the tail plate spool bearing., Having an educated thumb is the best anti-backlash device.

Penn and Ocean City have played with anti-backlash devices for many years. They use magnets and centrifugal sliding weights on some of their reels. Ocean City used to have a model called a Far-Kast reel. It was a very elaborate add on and OC offered it on about six different models in the late 1930's. Great collectibles, BTW.

I have a one off Penn Far Kast reels manufactured using a Surfmaster 250. This is a super rare piece. Only one I have seen. Made as a prototype and never manufactured. Should have been destroyed in the factory, but somehow it escaped. See the last picture. If you could see inside the box, it is dated. The papers and pencil were also in the box. A real experimental.

Ruffy

That's a cool set! I love the Penn pen!

Andrew