Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis one came yesterday. First gen 9/0 with external drag access

There are less of the external drag first gen 9/0's. They were changed in 1940 and stayed that way until the change over to second generation. If you go by the catalogs, they had external drags from 1940 to 1948, when the first gen reels changed, but the actual production numbers of first gen reels are vague. The catalog probably does not reflect the exact change over.

No doubt, the hot selling times for the first gen 9/0's was the 1930's, hence more internal drag first gen reels exist than the external drag models. I do not consider them rare but I just looked at mine. I have four first gen 9/0's and they are all internal drags.

MARLI

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 01, 2020, 01:48:24 AM
This one came yesterday. First gen 9/0 with external drag access

Chris, I checked my Penn reels out after seeing your post. My 3 early first gen 9/0 all have the internal type drag, with my later 1st gen 9/0 and 6/0 having the external drag set up like the reel you pictured. Just as interesting is in my " no parts numbers" line-up, my 9/0, 6/0, 4/0 and 2/0 also have the same external set-up. So I would say that Dom and others are right in saying it was a transitional drag style that came along about the time Penn went from the 1st to 2nd gen builds. I had not noticed that before, and have had these reels for awhile. Doug

ReelFishingProblems

The wife has developed a healthy addiction to vintage Pyrex. I try to go on excursions with her as much as I can because you never know what you'll find. Today we went to a little town near Leesburg, VA. While the wife was digging through stacks of Pyrex I was telling the cashier how her obsession is cheaper than mine. She then gave me the keys to a trailer and said to dig around. Mostly old Bantams and a Mitchell 300. My eye was drawn to this little beauty at $34. Not a steal, but beautiful none the less.

Crow

That looks to be in reel good shape !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Beautiful reel Nick. You have a good eye. $34 is a great price in mint condition. Did you outspend your wife ?? Lol

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 09, 2020, 10:35:00 PM
Were you in Lucketts?

I was in Lucketts. How'd you guess?

Ted, you guessed right too. Maybe that's why I support her Pyrex habit. It makes me feel better about buying reels, but it isn't as bad!

1badf350

Wife drags me to the antique festival every year.
I also used to live in Ashburn VA which is not far from there.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Maxed Out

I thought that reel looked familiar, so out came the old catalogs and catalog 25 is the first one to have a spinfisher, but they were introduced in catalog #24 with a small insert sitting loose inside the catalog. I believe that football knob is the first version. Here is the insert from catalog #24. That's your reel pictured with that same knob
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Benni3

Very cool reel,,,,,, 8) and you got it in Virginia,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

I like how the ad states "FOOL PROOF" as a feature, the first one no less. ;D ;D ;D

Does that mean it won't work in a fool's hands?

broadway

Ted, neat piece of ephemera right there.
I do believe RFP's reel is a newer version of the #700.  The first version like the one you have on the paper is a "stationary" handle. It doe have the same knob though.
Best,
Dom

Penn Chronology

Great early introduction. They actually were not mentioned in the catalog until #25--1963 but a special dealer, early introduced model was sold in 1962. Those early models in the original special display boxes bring big money.