Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oc1

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 05, 2020, 03:33:11 AM
Chris , fellas help me out so was this 149 a direct drive ?  Hows this work with no star ?
Knuckle buster with  clutch.
-s

Rivverrat

Steve, thanks for the answer. So if the handle slips from your hand with fish on it's possible to grab it ? Or not ?  Clutch would work only one way ? Opposite the anti reverse ?  Do I have this right ?

Maxed Out

Quote from: Deepennz on March 05, 2020, 06:50:26 AM
Hi Chris,
Well done - a lovely reel!! It's interesting to see the spool doesn't have the ridge at the arbour/flange join.
Does it have a waffle or 'kiss' clicker?

Cheers
Martin

Hey Martin, good eye !! I have seen a few of these brown spool 49 without the ridge. Maybe the earliest version had no ridge against the flange.

Jeff, yes, if fish runs the handle will turn and better get your hand outta the way or suffer busted knuckles.Only other option is to flip in freespool when fish runs and thumb the spool. That way handle won't turn when line is peeling out.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

With a fish on, you can let the spinning handle slap the palm of your hand to slow it down.  You'll only let a knuckle buster actually bust your knuckles once.  Then you learn.

An AR and drag is for wimps  :)
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on March 06, 2020, 04:35:52 AM
   ..... You'll only let a knuckle buster actually bust your knuckles once.  Then you learn.....

-steve

Yes, been there done that. Which I guess was my reason to make the effort to be for certain I understood. Otherwise this was the stuff of a "Dumb" reel. Of which I believe Penn made very few if any?

Penn Chronology

The early 149 was not really a knuckle buster. A true knuckle buster has no free spool feature. It is a winch. If it is going backwards, the handle is spinning with the spool. That is what the old leather or wood thumb stall was for. To slow the spool down enough to grab the handle without it breaking you finger. Here's a 1920's Pflueger Everlaster with a wood spool brake. This is a true knuckle buster. This reel is as big as a Penn 149. The wood block pressed by the thumb and dragged along the edges of the spool. It did not touch the line, unlike the leather thumb stall reels like the one in the collage. Those old leather pieces dragged on the line with thumb pressure.

In the 1920's, there was a hospital near the Avalon Tuna Club in California, because of all the First Aid that fisherman needed using these old reels. They used to call the clinic the "Tuna Hospital".

The collage is a 1903 Pflueger. Very rare knuckle buster reel with a hand stitched thumb stall. This is a museum piece.

These were not direct drive. They were multipliers of varying retrieve ratios.

Rivverrat

Thanks for posting those pics. That Sea King has a simple but very appealing look to it... Jeff

festus

Plenty of good Jigmasters out there in excellent shape that can be had for cheap.

This is my second Jigmaster.  A couple years ago I got a 500S before I knew the difference.  This one seems more solid.  It's possible this one never had line spooled on it.

mo65

Very clean Chester...that's a nice find. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rancanfish

I have way too many jigmasters.  Great reel, no respect anymore from the general population.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Benni3

Very nice reel,,,, :D great job,,,,,, ;D

milne

Well, not quite as I found them, all have been cleaned up, most are in good to very good condition, with catalogues and accessories, even a blokes original fishing licence, from the early 40's...
The 4/0 Senator, is what started me off on the Penn journey, more so the special, but ya can't stop there.  ;D
I wanted to get all the price points, I believe in 1950 the price on the box was $20 and was probably a fair trading box as well.
The two on the left are anniversary models, both with the top sticker/label, one with a front sticker,, note.. 2 different price points, $25 and $27.50.
I'll find the illusive 1950 $20 box one day,,,,

Col

festus

One more Penn Greenie rescued from drilling and slotting, the 710.  Brakes work, bail is functioning, but a little slow, anti-reverse is ok.  Often the shipping on these old beaters is more than the actual cost of item.

mo65

Quote from: festus on March 16, 2020, 05:44:30 PM
One more Penn Greenie rescued from drilling and slotting.

And mark my words...that one will sell for double 10 years from now...and those drilled slotted things you won't be able to give away. :D  Nice buy Chester!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

yes badf350 stared a tread on sol "show yours collectible rods and reels" one guy drilled 20 or 30,,,,,,, :( great save my friend,,,,,, ;D