Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Yeah, both of these are clean, and smooth....so I have NO plans to crack them open ! I am going to fish both of them (I fish every reel I have, at least once...that's what they are made for, after all!), but it will be in fresh water. The 2000 looks like just the ticket to throw buzz baits , in the lily pads, on the Mississippi backwaters...IF they ever let us put our boats in !! And the 1000 looks to be a good small mouth reel, here in the river....a leadhead with a twister tail, maybe ?!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Swami805

Yes, 2 speed.
Interested to see how you like fishing them
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

The Penn 1000 & 2000 was made in 1990.

Penn Chronology

festus

Landed these two very clean reels over the weekend, a Surfmaster 200 and a 710Z.  Both felt fishable as they arrived.  Looks like the Surfmaster was serviced recently.  The 710Z is very smooth and freewheeling, but needs a lube change.  It has a golden colored grease that hasn't hardened but will be cleaned, nevertheless.

Lingwendil

Traded a 209 for this no.9 on saturday, and just finished cleaning it up yesterday afternoon. It absolutely reeked of cigarettes. I don't think I dig the handle, preferring the older torpedo style, but it's a nice little reel to help get me closer to the whole lineup of Penn levelwinds :)

Started a thread for it too, nice wekkend project-
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30901.0

Next up I want to source a 109, 309, and 350 :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Crow

Thanks for the info on the 1000 / 2000 !

Looks like you did good, Festus !

I'm not a real fan of the "flat" knobs, either. At least as far as "looks", goes. When did they make the switch from the "torpedoes' ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Rancanfish

I'm going to try out my Penn 2000 on shallow rockfish if we ever get the chance to fish again.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

milne

Nothing to show........... Kinda,,,,, Yet,,,, Hopefully but....
Decided to pull the trigger on a couple of boxed beauties from the late 30's,,,, cost me a years salary  ;D, only to get a wee note on my tracking to say,,
Due to corona virus, your item is on hold and we can not confirm a delivery date   :o.

Gulp !!.
Now I may have used up all my pixie points with the postal service, I mean, my last postal effort, sending a package from Aussie to somewhere state side, with out putting the full address on the package, amazingly found it's correct destination, Mo's letter box  ( phew), with much relief to be had on both sides

So fingers crossed, don't mind waiting,  will loose a few kilo's in stress,    Damn this tricked up flu thing......

Rant over, glad I got that off me chest,   I mean, after all, health and safety is far more important than a mere mint first year 39 reel and box..............

;D
It's a bit akin to waiting for your divorce papers to finalise   :D

Col

broadway

Col,
    I look forward to seeing your finds... especially a mint '39 reel and it's buddies.
I keep having things cancelled off eBay as either they don't want to go to PO or it takes three times the amount of time to get our packages. Not an easy time for shipping to say the least.
Thanks
Dom

mo65

I've got my fingers crossed for you too Col. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

I've had a couple of those same notices, Col.......anything coming by "air', is liable to be held up....so many "needed" things (masks, etc.) are being shipped , that most "non-essential " things are just sitting !

Lingwendil

Finally pulled the trigger on a Leveline 350 on the "Bay of E", so here's the pics from the listing for now. Spy that big handle? Someone had high hopes to hook into some lunkers with this reel  8)

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Time to start looking for an aluminum or plastic spool :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Crow

Those are pretty neat reels !  It's amazing how well that "level line" bar works !