Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Nice find Nick! I don't see the crack in the 26 spool...it must be small. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Nice ones !!  So far, I don't have any of the "colored" reels...congrats !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Lingwendil

Nice green 26! I've got my eye out for a colored reel at some point.

350 came today, and looks about as I expected. Broke her open to find very thick, dark grease, only two crusty leather drag washers, and the edges of the gear sleeve rounded off a bit making for a slightly wibbly wobbly handle. Looks like it'll clean up nicely, anybody got a 155 gear sleeve they don't need? Otherwise I'll grab one from wherever I end up grabbing drags.[EDIT: a member is sending me a sleeve!, thanks man!]

Not sure I'll be running the handle it came with on here, may keep it for my 210.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

i've got all the parts you need and i sent a pm.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

milne

Still sweating on a couple of parcels arriving, been on hold for a fair while now and one was an absolute score and have not seen another...

Any how, got a wee package delivered, a 165 with an early box.
The 165 came out in 39, with a price of $5, which lasted thru to it saying it was discontinued in 46.
The reel has the raised corners on the arbour of the spool, which is correct for a pre war plastic spool.
Has the yardage on the reel seat and the coin edged on the counter weight and lever.
As to identifying what year it is, probably cant since the price remained the same, before being discontinued.
So I guess I can only say it's a 39-46, close enough for me, there's no variant, so that will stop my OCD kicking in and searching fruitlessly.
The box has a few separation issues, but is intact and in reasonable condition, the reel is quite minty....

Anyhows, just thought I'd share,, I say prayers every night with regard to my " pending" delivery.......Geez... ::)

Col

Crow

Nice one , Col !! Glad it showed up !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

broadway

Score, Col! Looks like a first year to me.
Happy she arrived and can't wait to see your others.
Enjoy her,
Dom

Deepennz

Hi Col,
Nice find!
There are differences between the different year models of those early Light Casting reels.
In !939/40 Penn used their largest counterweight on the blade of those reels and a large 'rugby ball' shaped grip. In 1941/42 they decreased the size of both the handle grip, and counterweight.
Those photo's don't reelly show the handle, but from what I can see, it would seem to be the large counterweight. The handle does not seem to be as big as that 1939 #155 I pointed out to you - so my best gestimate, from the photo's, is that it it an  1940 reel.
Later on in 1941/42 Penn must have run out of their supply of stands stamped with that "150yds No9" and just had a plain foot.
It's a pity someone took to that foot with a file - "hate it when that happens"!!

Cheers
Martin

milne

Thanks Guys, yes, still sweating on a delivery, cross fingers.

Martin, Yes, I can see it now.  I got out the 39 155 which you pointed out to me, to compare, your spot on there.
The 39 155, has the larger counterweight and the larger torpedo handle as you said.
The 165, has a smaller counterweight and a smaller torpedo handle, that is a great bit of knowledge there to help try and identify these early light casting reels. Someone, or yourself has probably mentioned this before, I'm not sure, my ability to retain info is slowly diminishing with age  ;D.

Interestingly, I took a couple of shots to compare, the 39 155, the new 165 and one of my 170's.
Interestingly, the 170 has the larger counterweight and the smaller handle, probably using up parts as they did.
Thanks Martin, that narrows it down a bit now,  would have been nice to be a first year model, but I can't be too dissapointed really,  and yes, that dreaded file on the reel seat !!!!  apart from that, the reel is in pretty good shape overall, so on to the shelf it goes...
cheers
Col
.. the first photo, is the 39 155 on the left, then the new 165 then the 170
  second photo, isn't too clear, but the 165 smaller counterweight is bottom right.

Deepennz

Hi Col,
Thanks for the extra photo's. So your 165 has a 'torpedo' shaped handle and the smaller counterweight. It also still has the yardage stamp on the foot.
In late 1941/1942 the handle shape changed to a more "chunky" profile - straight sides and a triangular shaped point. By 1942 the stands had no yardage.
So, by a process of elimination that only leaves 1941!!  So - your OCD can relax - you still have more models to find!!!

Have fun and take care out there.
Martin

milne

Quote from: Deepennz on April 25, 2020, 06:52:04 AM
Hi Col,
Thanks for the extra photo's. So your 165 has a 'torpedo' shaped handle and the smaller counterweight. It also still has the yardage stamp on the foot.
In late 1941/1942 the handle shape changed to a more "chunky" profile - straight sides and a triangular shaped point. By 1942 the stands had no yardage.
So, by a process of elimination that only leaves 1941!!  So - your OCD can relax - you still have more models to find!!!

Have fun and take care out there.
Martin

Thanks Martin,
                     Well explained thank You...
  1941 sounds great to me....

All the best
Col

milne

Well, you can tell with social distancing I'm stuck at home today  ;D

Further to Martins advice on identifying the years of these light casting reels.
Here we have a 155 with a $7.oo price on the box. So I'll use " The Martin theory "  and see how it goes....

The 155 was introduced in 1939, by 1946 the price had changed to $8.oo

SO, it should have the raised lip on the abor , check
Has the later chunky er type handle             , check
It has no yardage stamped on the reel seat   , check
Smaller coin edged counterweight                 , check
So due to production during the 43-45 period, probably not happening, this reel is probably a 1942-43 ??
And surprisingly, after not ever noticing this, folded up in a wee zip lock bag with the double pack of lube, was a California fishing licence, dated May 1944, cant believe I have never noticed that before, awesome !!!.
So, while not exactly accurate I suppose, The main points to look for, as Martin explained, is really a great way to date these light casting reels.
Don't ya just luv these things   ;D

Col

54bullseye

Col
All you SUPER PENN guys amaze me right down to every little detail !! Nothing slips by unnoticed ! There are about 10 of you guys maybe more that just live Penn !!! Congratulations on the collection you are putting together must be something to see in person. Keep posting ( Penn Reels  - just as you find them) is about my favorite part of Alan's board !! Same to the rest of you Penn guys I love seeing this stuff but I do miss seeing Brian and Ray's posts certainly lost a wealth of knowledge there but you guys are filling in the gap !    John Taylor