Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mo65

The stand on that 49A isn't a clamping stand like normally used. Maybe a real early version or prototype?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on July 10, 2020, 06:16:34 PM
   The stand on that 49A isn't a clamping stand like normally used. Maybe a real early version or prototype?

Not sure Mo, but It does have coin edge cb and no part numbers anywhere
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

....and just when I thought I'd seen every Penn known to mankind

Ha, some tricky repair shop stole the Jigmaster 500 stand off the 49A and replaced it with an early Long Beach 67 stand. That is a dirty trick.....

Cuttyhunker

Early 9/0 frankenreel
This all started with 2 gen one 115's in about average shape, certainly not minty, one of them had a homemade front lug installation with the lugs fashioned in copper that was probably a water pipe in a past life, The inside rings and plates had been cut to make them fit.  Not happy about that but by god it was a gen one.  Of all places Etsy had an early gen two, no front lugs that I grabbed to get my gen one back to "more correct" with the unmolested inner rings.  The Etsy special turned out to be a mess of weirdness, a numbered 114 handle, external drags with no felt washer or collar cap and a few miscellaneous missing parts.  My thanks to Butch Carey, Scott at Mystic, Maxed Out and Reelytyme for helping me get this old girl into a functioning pile of nuts and bolts.  Now a question for 1Bad350, is that hole in the arbor too close to the edge for a gen two?  I wonder if this really is a spare parts special.
Doomed from childhood

pjstevko

I'm now the proud owner of Glenn Fukumoto's Penn International 16S two speed!

It was sitting on the table at the clubhouse when I arrived on Sunday and I said if it didn't sell by the time the trip was over it was gonna be mine. It almost sold a few times but fate intervened and it was still sitting on the table Monday night and I snatched it up. I'm sure there's plenty of good karma left on that old reel and Glenn will bless me with a big fat tuna for keeping it fishing!

milne

Hi all,   Bit of a mail call here.

Has been quiet on the western front of late,  In a real battle to land a special package from State side for the last couple of months.
But it has been all in vein so far.... more on that later.
But what arrived today, was a great shelfy, from the box, it's a 32-38 Bridge City.
Haven't cleaned the reel up yet, it looks in OK condition, Box is OK, very bright and colourful label.
Love these 30's reels and boxes.....

Col

milne

BUT, Just to pin point the year of the bridge city and the box, a little better.
This came along with it, folded under the reel in the box.
It's got a wee corner missing, and showing it's age a tad, But, a 36 it is indeed....

But, in saying that, the scalloped handle nut and retaining screw, shouldn't be 36 year correct ???..
Damn having these books of Mikes, they keep bursting my bubble  ;D
Even the catalogue shows the 36 reels apart from the Senator, should have the hex handle nut.
Strange that someone would have just added the 36 catalogue/pamphlet.....

Col

1badf350

Thats a great one Col! Congratulations on winning that one!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Some great finds!

I haven't been looking, as often, on Ebay, but prices seem higher , lately. That, or maybe I'm just 'more broke', now ::)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

That's a first for me on Col's pamphlet: "...Barge Fishing".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Yes Col, nice find, glad you won it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Bravo Col! Your collection must be getting big...and so many are sweet gems like this one...way ta go! You have become very good with the facts and info on these old Penns. Hope you have many more great finds. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Thanks guys.

Mo, it's this site that I've gained all the info and of course Mikes books.
Now that I can use the search function  ;D...
 Sometimes I'll see something on the big sale site, next thing, I have mikes books open beside me, the lap top open and searching old posts here,
 There's always so much to learn.  
Retaining that new info is the hardest part  :o  I'm always in awe of some of you blokes, with all that knowledge.
To learn the other day about Chris's Coronado find, then to see Dom and Martin comment on it, was an awesome read.

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteEven the catalogue shows the 36 reels apart from the Senator, should have the hex handle nut.
Strange that someone would have just added the 36 catalogue/pamphlet.....

Col.,

First I want to say, that is a great find.

It is a 1936 catalog and 36 box, it could be a later reel or some one changed the handle and used the locking style. It is like splitting hairs. Are we going to believe the catalog like it was the the only possibility. Moving to 1937, you see all the reels in the catalog (not including Senators) still have hex head handle screws except the Sea Hawk, which uses a scalloped screw without a locking screw. Weird. I know the 1936 is calling for all Penn reels except the 115 to have a hex head screw but what if in the real world, some left the factory with locking screws? Life as we know it would still be happening. So consider the possibilities. It could be an early factory release, a repair shop could have changed the handle to a locking type (most likely the most probable), the owner could have changed it or it could be a 1938 reel that was put in the wrong box. I guess with a time span of about 80 years, any one of those possibilities could be true,

Best to all,

Mike C.

milne

Thanks Mike,
                  Yes, the catalogue is the first non numbered one I have managed to get, so pretty happy with that.
    The photo doesn't show up the staining and general ageing it has, but really really happy to have it in my collection.
In fact, the only other Bridge City I have, is a 250 yd, 4 post, but a maroon colour,, still reading up about that.
It would have been Xmas to find the catalogue with a first year Senator and it's box, alas, but the Bridge City is still a good find  ;D
Still lots to find, slowly but surely   ;D
Thanks for your insight

Col