Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jenx

Quote from: thorhammer on May 06, 2022, 03:30:12 PMNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! 525Mag a fav, respooling mine today. ALWAYS wanted an INT caster too. If you decide you don't need any of them, lemme know :)

I'm pleasantly surprised by the 525. I mostly bought them out of curiosity. I figured they could make inexpensive backups for my Fathoms.I took one to the park the other day to see how it casts, and once I got the breaks dialed in I was effortlessly hitting 100 yards every cast (4oz on 11' rod).

It looks like my Fathoms have some competition now.

Bill B

Hard to pass up a $14 jigmaster with aluminum spool, chromed bridge, and carbon fiber drags.  Found this in a thrift store in Palm Springs.  Doesn't look like it's ever been opened with the gummy factory grease still intact.  It may have been used a couple times in salt water with some corrosion on the foot and bars.  Maybe the Salton Sea when it was still nice.  Bill

After opening the reel up I discovered a factory stainless steel bridge part number 3-500S...never knew Penn had a SS bridge for these.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

the bridge plate is not stainless.  it's chrome over brass.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

That's what I expected, but it sounded different when tapped with a screwdriver and was slightly magnetic.... I will check it again..

Maxed Out

Nice find Bill. Just the spool is $25
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

Well I found my summertime rainy day project over near Daytona just before I came back up to New England.  A deal with the skipper of a 60' megabuck sport fisherman. 40 in all, not a shelf queen in the lot, some set up for electric power. Mostly Senators, 9, 6, and 4/0's a few misc conventional rigs and a lone 6500.  The TLD's were gone. I think for the first time the reels I have is approaching the number of rods (not counting the broken ones) in the pile.  Unattended milk crates be wary.
Doomed from childhood

Crow

Those will keep you busy, for a while !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

I stopped by and said hi to our local brewmiester John, he said I could have this Penn 49.  He told me it needs a "little work" 🤣. I'm up for a challenge.  Let's see how this non-numbered plastic spooled work horse turns out. And he was gracious enough to give me the rod to go with it. 😉 BTW thanks brother John.  Bill

Squidder Bidder

Quote from: Bill B on May 17, 2022, 09:43:42 PMHard to pass up a $14 jigmaster with aluminum spool, chromed bridge, and carbon fiber drags.  Found this in a thrift store in Palm Springs.  Doesn't look like it's ever been opened with the gummy factory grease still intact.  It may have been used a couple times in salt water with some corrosion on the foot and bars.  Maybe the Salton Sea when it was still nice.  Bill

After opening the reel up I discovered a factory stainless steel bridge part number 3-500S...never knew Penn had a SS bridge for these.

WOW! Great find. I've been looking for a Jigmaster with the red sideplate that says "MADE IN PHILA, PA" (because I was too).

Crow

Good Ohana deal, on the 49, and rod! Ya' gotta' love this place !

1badf350

This is the first time I've ever seen one of these in person. Only read about them in Mikes Penn book. Production run of about 30 reels total.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

You sure do find some neat stuff, Chris !!

Swami805

Wow, beautiful box too, doesn't get better than that
Do what you can with that you have where you are

milne

Wow, that's a great score Chris, Congrats...

Col