Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Always got a few waiting in the bullpen.

Just need some time to get to them -- they generally come last after customers and life's responsibilities.

As found or acquired.

Old LB60
Anglesea
Silver Beach
(2) Seagates
500 JM
Peerless 9
And assorted older non Penns

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Oceanreels on October 31, 2015, 03:33:07 PM
Had this one going on 5 years. Haven't done a thing to it, just sits on the shelf. As you can see they used it a lot and it would still catch fish the way it is.
300 yard Coronado prototype.

Thanks Brian............That's what I intended this thread to be about..............well used old penns that look like they were used for a boat anchor and have stood the test of time and abuse, but still function silky smooth. I think you have a 1933 long beach you rigged up and were considering fishing. How bout posting that old salty reel ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Oceanreels

Ted,
  Here's the Long Beach. This is ready to go just have to add line and put in on the rod. It has been cleaned, no way was I going to use it the way it looked. Problem is don't know when I'll be able to get out to fish. Check out our forecast for the next few days. http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/255.html   It's like that most of the time this time of year.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

Many moons ago I found  a 1933 Penn Long Beach. It was rough, so rough that I felt I had to name this reel. I named it, "The Ugly Long Beach". I still resides in my collection. I will never sell it. As you can imagine, they are not beating down my door to buy it, so not selling it was never a problem. Here is my old and abused Long Beach as I found it in 2006.

I had been collecting for a short time. As a new collector, the 1933 reels were the most elusive Penn reels to find, so this ugly old Long Beach looked like a gem to me. It did not come cheap, if I remember right, I paid about $150 for it. I was happy to find it, no matter what the cost. In my mind it was rare.

For those that do not know me, I am not the kind of collector that places condition in the number one spot. My priority is always the piece! A rare reel is rare, even if it is ugly.

So, I decided to clean this reel. I broke it down and am happy to report that old dog of a reel was all original.

After cleaning and reassembly, guess what. It runs like new, the drags are good, the clicker is good, it spins nice, quiet, smooth and fast. This reel could be lined and still catch fish on any day of the week. At 82 years old, it cold still be put to work.

All those years of dirt, grime and that famous saltwater green are gone, along with most of the chrome.

The side plates have that sandblasted style that I love.

And the stand has a mixture of chrome and brass that creates patina that is impossible to duplicate. What really adds character is the Bakelite chipped handle boss, a very common condition with these 1933 models.

Yup, this is a reel that is what it is, clean, fully functioning and still Ugly. But it is my first 1933 Long Beach and no matter what the offers are, I refuse to part with it.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAlways got a few waiting in the bullpen.

Fred,

Your consistent accumulations never cease to amaze me. You are the neatest hoarder I have ever seen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere's the Long Beach. This is ready to go just have to add line and put in on the rod. It has been cleaned, no way was I going to use it the way it looked. Problem is don't know when I'll be able to get out to fish. Check out our forecast for the next few days. http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/255.html   It's like that most of the time this time of year.

Brian,

Great reel, please keep it on the shelf. After checking out your weather, I believe you should take up surf fishing until next Summer. :o

Steve-O

Though more of an angler than reel collector, these types of threads perk my interest enough to get a couple of oldie goldies that have decades of fish and ocean love patina built up on them just for my display case.

But I know how that ends.....it doesn't.....just ONE more....

I had a handful of the common garden variety Penns and sold them this past summer.

So my hat's off to you serious reel nuts...er...aficionados. Thanks for sharing.

Superhook

Quote from: Steve-O on November 01, 2015, 03:17:58 AM

So my hat's off to you serious reel nuts...er...aficionados. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Mike,   There's that familiar term... "Reel Nuts" .

Maxed Out

I can think of worse things to be than a reel nut. Ray is still holding out on us. I know he has some that show their age and want to be pulled out of the closet for a moment of fame.

Mike, I love that '33 long beach. Looks like the original owner liked it too... ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteHey Mike,   There's that familiar term... "Reel Nuts"

Yup, we have been Reel Nuts for many years. As Ted said, we could be worse things.

Anyways, here is one of my favorites. For some reason, it took me a long time to find this first year Squidder 140. It has a permanent place on my shelf.

It is unique and different than all other Squidders because of the non-clamp stand and the Linen Line capacity stamping on the bottom of the stand. The Squidder was built like this only in 1939.

coastal_dan

Mike, that's too cool.  Interesting how not a whole lot had changed from beginning to end on those Squidders. 

Some awesome pieces in the thread, enjoying it quite a bit :)

Ted, dare I say your 'Coronado'?  It would fit well here.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Just recieved my first gen. 9/0 in the mail today.  It appears to be correct for a ca. 1939 production year.  It is in rough shape, but certainly has plenty of 'character'.  I am thinking of only a light cleaning/service before displaying in all of her ugly glory.  

Although this is one of the more common prewar and first gen senator models, they are still relatively tough to come by.  It has the unmistakable characteristics of an early 9/0...

German silver, nonnumbered parts, internal drags, small harness lugs, no rod brace lugs, early mold w/o model number, 3-piece spool with drilled arbor, early Hershey clicker style, older style crossplate/stand w/small diameter carriage bolts, and 1939-42 era, style torpedo handle w/ coin-edged counterweight.

It may even be possible that this reel is a first year 1936 or  produced b4 1939 whereby someone decided to upgrade the reel with the new torpedo handle when it came out...

why can't fishermen just leave well enough alone :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIt may even be possible that this reel is a first year 1936 or  produced b4 1939 whereby someone decided to upgrade the reel with the new torpedo handle when it came out...

John,

Does that reel have external drags? In the top picture it looks like it does not have them and in the lower picture it looks like it does. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

I have three first gen 9/0's in my collection and none of them have external drags. If it does have the external drags, then I really doubt if it is an early version.

Tightlines667

Mike,
That same camera angle fooled several of us (I won't say who exactly), but no the reel has internal drags.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Oceanreels

Here are a couple of first gen ( handle at 5 O'clock ) Senators with the external drags. First one is a Schultz Game Fisher.  Second one is a regular Penn, note that the new logo in on this reel. I feel that they went to the external drags in 1940. I also think that you don't see many first gen reels with the external drags as they started to make second gen 9/0 reels ( handle at 7 O'clock ) in 1940.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/