Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Coronado's are always a great find. The last one was made in 1941.

mo65

Here's an early Long Beach 65 that I picked up as a gift for my brother. He has displays of old fishing tackle and likes the patina and character left on the items. This was intended to be an "as ya found it" piece, but after I received it I noticed the stand had been changed to a #30-66. This is not uncommon...lots of Long Beaches got this mod. The first photo shows the 66 stand was way shinier than the rest of the reel...just not a good look. :-\
   Then while pondering the stand problem I was fiddling with the reel and noticed the spool was way too wide. It seemed to be too far inside the rings on both sides...just looked wrong. I pulled out another LB65 spool and sure enough, it was nearly 1/8th inch shorter! :o
   Well, I decided this thing was going to be right, so I scoured fleabay for the right parts, with the right patina also. The other three pics show the reel with corrections. Would you believe I had to pay more for a crusty old stand than a shiny NOS one? All in all, I still have very little invested, and the reel is right8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Mo, you did that reel a great service by bringing it back to the way it was originally built. The non numbered 65 metal spool is tough to find in any condition. Trust me, I know. Just ask my alter ego "OCD"  :D :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

basto

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 06, 2016, 11:43:07 PM
  Mo, you did that reel a great service by bringing it back to the way it was originally built. The non numbered 65 metal spool is tough to find in any condition. Trust me, I know. Just ask my alter ego "OCD"  :D :D

Ted

I have to agree. That is a great looking reel just the way it is. Love that handgrip and tail plate.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Shark Hunter

mo,
Another great job my man. You have only been here a short time and some of your builds are just jaw dropping.
You deserve a promotion for your Ingenuity. You are now a Sensei Member ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 06, 2016, 11:43:07 PM
 Mo, you did that reel a great service by bringing it back to the way it was originally built.
Quote from: basto on October 07, 2016, 12:56:21 AM
Love that handgrip and tail plate.
Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 07, 2016, 04:46:50 AM
You are now a Sensei Member

Thanks Ted, and I'll have to agree, that old LB just looks happy now! :D As a bonus...I have a nice non-numbered #30-66 stand...but that spool is a mystery. Any idea what it might be? It's just a hair too wide for this LB. Basto, I'm going to post a better pic of the handle knob on the handle thread in the vintage forum. It's an interesting knob for sure...as it's translucent. Thanks Daron...I appreciate it very much! 8)

Maxed Out

Mo, that is the correct spool. It appears to be as it should, looking at your pictures. It's just the way penn made em.

Ted

mo65

Here are pics of the spools, correct one is the shorter spool. Just remember that the top side(left side on second pic) of the spools is aligned, even if it looks like its not.

Maxed Out

Notice a smaller arbor on the wider spool, which makes it earlier version. No telling why it's a hair wider, but Penn never made any LB size reel that's just "a hair" wider. Perhaps a factory worker was sipping whiskey at work that day, who knows ??   :D :D

Ted

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 07, 2016, 07:50:50 PM
who knows ??   :D :D

I agree...I'm wondering if it's even a Penn spool? :P  Also...I remember when working in a factory how quality control dropped off after a holiday party. :D

The Great Maudu

This is a great thread. I have three reels I'm to post up but I'll do them one at a time. Each one had an interesting feature that made me want it for my collection. First up is a Penn Senator 1/0. Everything works, it's smooth as silk and clicks strong. The thing that attracted me was the inner and outer rings. There is no chrome anywhere to be found. They have a beautiful patina that makes them look different than a typical small Senator. This is just how I found it. Any thoughts or observations?

RowdyW

German Silver? Did you try to polish the rings.

The Great Maudu

No I didn't try to polish them. The photos don't show it but they have a pretty polish already. I like the way it looks with the patina. Have you ever seen German silver turn like that?

Shark Hunter

Mike,
That is one reel I don't have. A 1/0.
I'm with Rudy, something looks unusual about that patina.
I would leave it just like it is.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 08, 2016, 05:24:07 AM
No I didn't try to polish them. The photos don't show it but they have a pretty polish already. I like the way it looks with the patina. Have you ever seen German silver turn like that?
Yes, I've seen eating utensils made of German Silver get a similar patina when not used for quite a while.        Rudy