Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I think Rudy is right.  Sometimes german silver starts to looks like that.  It's as though extra copper was somehow drawn to the surface.  I don't know how it works, but it may have something to do with galvanic corrosion and being a substitutional alloy.
-steve

The Great Maudu

Maybe they are German silver. The reel foot looks like gs as well but it didn't turn.

The Great Maudu

Here is reel #2. It's a Silver Beach. The first thing that drew my attention is of course the handle. There isn't any makers marks but it looks good to me. Another thing about this one I like is the knurled cross bar. Lastly the line capacities stamped on the bottom of the foot. Just like I found it 

Penn Chronology

It is a Silver Beach--Model 97.......... The handle came from Frankenstein's Castle at the end of a Friday Afternoon after a Wild Shop Party. :-\

Bill B

GM good looking Silver Beach.....maybe you can post a handle pictur in the Handles section of Vintage Penn section.....I have a couple old aftermarket handles I'll post later.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

The Great Maudu

Here's reel number 3 in this series. It is a pristine Mariner 49A. The attraction here was the condition and these reels are tough to come by. It even had the box and the decal is still on the spool. I just wiped the dust off it and left it like I found it 

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere's reel number 3 in this series. It is a pristine Mariner 49A. The attraction here was the condition and these reels are tough to come by. It even had the box and the decal is still on the spool. I just wiped the dust off it and left it like I found it 

Great find Mike. The history of these models is great! Most definitely a shelfie!

Shark Hunter

Oh Man! :o
You have been holding out on me Mike.
That is one fine reel My Man. ;)
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 09, 2016, 05:25:29 AM
Great find Mike. The history of these models is great! Most definitely a shelfie!

I would never have known they even existed if it weren't for your books. I was tempted to fish it and add it to my stories but it's just too nice. Maybe when I found an old beater at a garage sale I'll fish that one.

mo65

Oh man...you guys are doin' it again...now I gotta have a Mariner too!! ;D Great reel Maudu.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

well I never found if the reels have to be vintage or not to be on this thread, but I want to play with my recently Penn reel found on a yard sale, cheap as chips.

nothing that a little TLC dont fix
The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

Quote from: steelfish on October 13, 2016, 11:05:02 PM
well I never found if the reels have to be vintage or not to be on this thread, but I want to play with my recently Penn reel found on a yard sale, cheap as chips.

nothing that a little TLC dont fix

Great find. That reel was begging for someone like you to take it home and give it the AT treatment !!  8) 8)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

You keep us posted on the progress of that Baja Steelfish.
I want to see the "Cheap as Chips" reel when she is ready to roll.
This is how I like to find them.
114H Anniversary Edition, 114H Black side plate model and a 9/0 Transition reel. All finds from last week.

Life is Good!

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 14, 2016, 05:13:21 AM
This is how I like to find them.
114H Anniversary Edition, 114H Black side plate model and a 9/0 Transition reel. All finds from last week.

as soon as I gave the AT treatment I will post some pics of the reel

nice finds, those reels look great
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 14, 2016, 05:13:21 AM

well the reel have been AlanTanized and its ready to rumble

sorry for the dark pictures, they were taken on my cell phone last night and it doesnt take good pictures on low light, the SS rings, handle and other SS goodies have a really good shine again.

I spend more taking my family to the burguers than what I paid for this reel, dang, that feels just great!!
that dont happend very often to me, so I enjoy moments like this one.

The Baja Guy