Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

? What's the difference in the early seahawks and the 1937,,3 post.

Penn Chronology

Good and complicated question. Off the top of my head.

The 1933 is a 3 post reel with a pull out handle for free spool control.

The 1934, 35 & 36 are four post reels with the pull out handle for free spool control.

The 1937 is a three post reel with a free spool lever.

1938, 39 & 40 were four post reels with free spool levers.

The 1941 & 42 was a small 150 yard reel, different side plate design with four posts and a free spool lever.

After the war, the Sea Hawk was discontinued, It returned around 1959 as the Sea Hawk 77, which was a little kids type cheap reel that never should have had the Sea Hawk name.

Hope that helps.........

Benni3

This has a waffle ,,but I seen one with a hersey kiss

Penn Chronology

The reel you pictured is a 1937 Sea Hawk. If you find one with a Hershey Kiss type clicker button on the tail plate, you have found a reel that someone changed the tail plate on. The 1937 model should have a waffle clicker button, a plain tail (no picture engraving) and a drilled spool (no line pin).

Benni3

Thanks for the information this one is correct  :)

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for the information this one is correct  Smiley

Glad to help.

Maxed Out

Early 50's 2/0.  Saw it on eBay last week and had to grab it knowing there was a good chance it could get fished if someone that didn't know better had bought it.

All I did was remove the line and some old grimy grease and give it a quick wipe-down with my magic bling cloth. It is 100% original inside and out. -Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

BryanC

Nice find!  The reel looks brand new. I love the handle knob!

54bullseye

A good friend of mine who has a beautiful collection of big game reels found a real jewel the other day when looking at a collection he wanted to buy. Most of the reels were kept in the house high and dry but a few were in the garage on shelves most of them corroded and dirty. I guess some had been there 40 years or more and even worse the garage was less than a mile from the ocean so salt was a factor !!! To you serious Penn collectors you will know it right away !! First two pics are how it was found then two after it was cleaned !!!  What a beauty !!!  I will let Mike answer any questions he knows more about Penn's than I ever will !!  It is a 16/0  enjoy !!   John Taylor

Tightlines667

Gorgeous and as scarce a Penn reel as you will find.

I bet Mike C has already made you an offer on this one.

That really cleaned up nicely too.  That may be the nicest first gen 16/0 known to collectors at this time (don't let Brian P. know I suggested this though).

Thanks for sharing this gem!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

The reel isn't mine I wish it was !  Brian and Mike have already seen it. It did clean up nice what a find !!  John

The Great Maudu

That's beautiful. Do not underestimate John's abilities when it comes to cleaning up an old reel. He's one of the magicians.

54bullseye

Not my reel I didn't clean it either just drooled over it !!

The Great Maudu

Regardless I still stand by what I said

basto

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 24, 2017, 01:03:54 AM
Early 50's 2/0.  Saw it on eBay last week and had to grab it knowing there was a good chance it could get fished if someone that didn't know better had bought it.

All I did was remove the line and some old grimy grease and give it a quick wipe-down with my magic bling cloth. It is 100% original inside and out. -Ted

My favourite PENN. I do have a 2/0, but mine is actually a narrowed 3/0. Mine has 3/0 on the head plate. That one looks perfect. Nice find!
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n