Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tightlines667

Cool reel. 

I have one with a waffle clicker, but no yardage-stamped stand.

Not sure about the wire?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

wailua boy

I just picked this reel up today and at first glance it appeared to be a first gen but being new to vintage hoping someone can confirm or deny. Thanks

Tightlines667

Appears to be late 40s/pre1950/post 42.  No part numbers second gen. gearbox, handle arm counterbalance style.
Hope springs eternal

wailua boy

Darn it. lol

I still like the reel but was wanting a first gen.

Maxed Out

Nothing to be upset about. That is a great find and in superb condition. Pre-1950 4/0's are not easy to find in any condition. -Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wailua boy

Thanks Ted. It is in pretty good shape, even has fresh mono on it. Probably been fished at least off and on but just probably well taken care of. Im always amazed the age of these reels and condition they are in.

I did pick up this other one and it came with a box. It has the old style line and swivel. Heres a pic

Bill B

Reel is in good shape, too bad the price was torn off the box label...but clues are still there....part numbers post 1950, postal code not zip code pre 1963.... but have to figure in Penn would have used all the boxes and labels.  Cool buy brother...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

I like the smooth side Delmar and yours has no rivets for the clicker ring. A very clean look. Most I've seen have the rivets in the tailplate

oc1

That green Ashaway braided nylon on the Delmar was used into the late 60's.  The snap swivel looks more like mid 1950's.
-steve

Superhook

I came across a Box label that is almost a perfect match except it said 250 yds of No.9 instead of just 250 yds. and the price was $8.50 . If you check the price with the catalogs it would put you very close.

wailua boy

Quote from: Superhook on February 18, 2017, 12:52:56 PM
I came across a Box label that is almost a perfect match except it said 250 yds of No.9 instead of just 250 yds. and the price was $8.50 . If you check the price with the catalogs it would put you very close.

Appreciate the info, I actually just ordered a price guide and some catalogs and should be here anyday :)

wailua boy

And the addiction continues(says the guy with 60 aquariums). This 4/0 just arrived in mail. I noticed the side plate is sticking out and spool been swapped. Any idea on spool type and sideplate issue. Thanks

Maxed Out

That's how it's supposed to be. The ring is inset a bit and it gives the plate a more dimensional look and likely strength.

Bill B

I received my coffee can 149, opened the box and layed all the parts out, knowing it was a gamble on actually getting all the parts...

Surprise...all the parts are there

A quick clean up, found the gear sleeve is stripped, into the parts bin, get a new 98-60 gear sleeve and some cf drag washers

And my coffee can $25 149 is complete and ready to fish.....

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Nice find, and good work there!

It is satisfying to make something from a pile of parts.  I often find myself wanting to buy 'parts' or 'coffee can' reels just for the fun and challenge of building a 'good as new' reel, despite having no real yse fir the reel :)

John
Hope springs eternal