Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 26, 2017, 07:13:25 PM
Quote from: steelfish on January 26, 2017, 04:58:00 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on January 24, 2017, 06:10:32 PM
It looks like Basto narrowed his 3/0 down to a 2/0 using basic Penn parts.

Another way to narrow a 3/0 is, 99 seat, 65 spool and posts. That gives you an in between size 2.5/0 senator.

Here is a shot of 3/0, 2.5/0, and 2/0.

thanks Ted, that will make my 3/0 a nice project 2.5/0 or 2/0 would be cool

Quote from: basto on January 24, 2017, 08:16:44 PM
Hi Steelfish

I narrowed mine with an alloy spool from Scotts, but I think they have discontinued them now.....some posts from Scotts and found a place in Australia that had a 2/0 stand. Took a long time to find a stand.
Basto

thanks buddy, I will see what I can find and then start the real search for the missing and hard to find parts

What parts do you need ?? We probably have them here on the forum, so don't wander too far on your parts search.

-Ted

hmm I totally forgot about this until yesterday that I saw my 3/0 reel and remembered it.

Ted, well lets just say that I have a bone stock 112h reel, so in order to make it narrow as a 2.5 size or maybe as narrow as a 2/0 size, can you tell me what parts do I need by part number?
I pretty sure I need to next parts
- new spool , which one for a 2.5 size and which one for a 2/0
- posts or frame, which one for a 2.5 size and which one for a 2/0
- reel seat, which one for a 2.5 size and which one for a 2/0

The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

Quote from: steelfish on March 09, 2017, 06:28:13 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on January 26, 2017, 07:13:25 PM
Quote from: steelfish on January 26, 2017, 04:58:00 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on January 24, 2017, 06:10:32 PM
It looks like Basto narrowed his 3/0 down to a 2/0 using basic Penn parts.

Another way to narrow a 3/0 is, 99 seat, 65 spool and posts. That gives you an in between size 2.5/0 senator.

Here is a shot of 3/0, 2.5/0, and 2/0.

thanks Ted, that will make my 3/0 a nice project 2.5/0 or 2/0 would be cool

Quote from: basto on January 24, 2017, 08:16:44 PM
Hi Steelfish

I narrowed mine with an alloy spool from Scotts, but I think they have discontinued them now.....some posts from Scotts and found a place in Australia that had a 2/0 stand. Took a long time to find a stand.
Basto

thanks buddy, I will see what I can find and then start the real search for the missing and hard to find parts

What parts do you need ?? We probably have them here on the forum, so don't wander too far on your parts search.

-Ted

hmm I totally forgot about this until yesterday that I saw my 3/0 reel and remembered it.

Ted, well lets just say that I have a bone stock 112h reel, so in order to make it narrow as a 2.5 size or maybe as narrow as a 2/0 size, can you tell me what parts do I need by part number?
I pretty sure I need to next parts
- new spool , which one for a 2.5 size and which one for a 2/0
- posts or frame, which one for a 2.5 size and which one for a 2/0
- reel seat, which one for a 2.5 size and which one for a 2/0

To convert a 2/0 or 3/0 to a midsize 2.5/0 (99 width), you'll need a long beach 65 spool and  lb65 width posts(99, 112H, etc), and a 99 seat.

To convert your 3/0 to a 2/0, you'll need a 111 seat and lb60 spool and posts. -Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

Ted, he was asking about a 112H not a 112. I don't think much can be done with a 112H model with Penn parts.  ???              Rudy                 

Maxed Out

Quote from: RowdyW on March 09, 2017, 10:13:09 PM
Ted, he was asking about a 112H not a 112. I don't think much can be done with a 112H model with Penn parts.  ???              Rudy                 

Oops, I missed that part Rudy, thanks for pointing that out.

I believe the 112h is what it is. Unless you can find a comparable spool in a different width.

RowdyW

The only spool that I know of is a wider Tuna Special from Tiburon that they still produce from time to time. I believe Accurate produced an even wider one at one time in the past. The 112H has some slim pickens.        Rudy

steelfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 09, 2017, 10:57:05 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on March 09, 2017, 10:13:09 PM
Ted, he was asking about a 112H not a 112. I don't think much can be done with a 112H model with Penn parts.  ???              Rudy                  

I believe the 112h is what it is. Unless you can find a comparable spool in a different width.

well, the exitement to make my 112h narrow with simple penn parts lasted few hours only  :'( :'( :'(

dont worry, I was also in the understanding that a 112h is what it is, the only narrow version that I know its made by accurate, but you need a new frame and spool, not really into droping almost $200 in this reel at this moment.

already have a newell spool, double SS dogs and octagon insert by Keta, so its good for local inshore fisheries

thanks anyway and thanks to Rudy for pointing that out before spending the money on those parts
The Baja Guy

Bill B

My favorite charity auction site has been good to me again.....I passed this on to a couple of our collector members here, but they passed, so I placed my bid and won for $13.00 +shipping....from the auction pictures all I could be sure about was the 300 yard stand.  The package arrived today and yes it IS a 286, plainly stamped on the head plate, "But Wait, here's More" the original box was included and there was paper inside the box....could it be the original catalogue?   Nope, it is the "The Care of Penn Reels", still WAY COOL...unfortunately the inside box is toast and the outer box is coming apart at the edges.....still I'm really pleased, a 1941-42 286 DelMar, The Reel That Shouldn't Exist.  This comes with the Rosewood handle, Hexagon clicker button and plastic spool....the head plate has some damage at a bridge screw hole and the collar around the gear sleeve is damaged also.....but as this is destined to the display case....no worries here....Cool Beans at the Redneck Condo tonight, WoooHoooo!  ;D  Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wailua boy

Tightlines667

Whoaaa!

How'd I miss this prize?

Nice work.

I have a 286, and actually had 2 at one time, but never a box.  Definately a great addition to a Penn collection. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

Thanks guys....looking back at the auction no box was mentioned or pictured....just curious anyone have tips on how to repair the box?  The box pieces are there, but the top is broken on 3 sides and the bottom has completely broke out....Bill

Superhook

Good on you Tarfu  . That's a $150 combo . Ray

Use woodworking glue that dries clear .  Printers padding glue is virtually the same thing .It is water based. All you need to do is wet the torn edges and smooth and hold together one seam at a time. Sometimes setting up with blocks of wood and rubber bands can make it easier to hold . Wipe off excess with a damp cloth and allow to dry.  Easy if you take your time. If you use grease proof paper between wood and the box board the glue won't stick to the wood or the grease proof paper ..for an easy clean up.

Swami805

Nice score Bill,spent more on lunch and it wasn't that good! Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Quote from: TARFU on March 15, 2017, 01:16:38 AM
Thanks guys....looking back at the auction no box was mentioned or pictured....just curious anyone have tips on how to repair the box?  The box pieces are there, but the top is broken on 3 sides and the bottom has completely broke out....Bill

Looks like someone already put tape on the box. kinda late for any restoration once that tape is stuck on.

I've repaired seams by making a small piece of paper into a 90* piece, with about 3/4" flange each way and cut to exact length, then carefully glue it in place on the inside, where it wont be seen. If you have ragged edges on the outside, leave them alone. Messing with those will only cause you grief.

BTW, very nice score Uncle Bill  :o :o

-Ted

Penn Chronology

Would not mess with the ox too much. gluing edges as Superhook aka Aussie Ray says is the most subtle repair. The box is much more rare than the reel. Very good piece, value at $150+.

Bill B

OOOOHHHH  C&@P.....didnt think it was THAT SPECIAL  :o...And I thought the Nep-Tuna was a steal...Ted luckily the tape used was painters tape and came off without removing any of the remaining box.  I will sleep on the glue repair for a couple weeks before I attempt a repair.....Mike\Ted are there any specific photos you need of this 286 for your research or would you like me to send it to you for a hands on inspection?  Bill