Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Quote.....Mike\Ted are there any specific photos you need of this 286 for your research or would you like me to send it to you for a hands on inspection?  Bill

Thanks Bill. No need for inspection. This reel is cut and dry. It is a non-cataloged Penn Delmar 300 yard model. There is no mystery here, just a hard to find reel in a really hard to find box. I have one in a home made box with a copied label. I have had many of the reels and when I sell them I have received from $50 to $100 for the reel alone, depending on who is bidding. The box brings the package to a different level. No telling how much it would sell for if it was presented properly. Sometimes you get two very motivated bidders and the prices can go sky high. Sort of depends how the listing goes.
                   Or list it for a $250 Buy It Now and see if it sells. You can always go down.

coastal_dan

Awesome find!  Congrats, beauty of a piece, thats for sure.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

I found a prewar Penn 155 after digging through a box of reels at a local pawn shop.  

A good buy @$10.

:)

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

That's a deal, like the chocolate handle, and is lt non numbered? Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Nice buy John! Judging by that coin edged counter weight and old style handle it's non-numbered alright.

sdlehr

Quote from: TARFU on March 19, 2017, 12:25:42 PM
and is lt non numbered? Bill
Same as saying "pre-war", unless you're talking about WWI... numbers showed up around 1950.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

Bill,
  I have no idea how I missed that one, but I'm glad you got it. That package is worth $300 in my opinion on Ebay. I would buy it right now for $150 for sure!
Congrats on your treasure, bud.
Enjoy it,
Dom

Bill B

Thanks brother Dom....I've been mulling over the box repair....as I will only get one chance at it....just thinking it through....I will keep you in mind if it ever goes "up for sale"...Would want to keep it in the family....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broadway

Bill, You have the right idea...Take your time.
Keep me in mind but enjoy your find for now as we're just temporary caretakers of these relics.
All the best,
Dom

mo65

Hey Bill, I just wanted to say Superhook's suggestion of light clear drying glue and rubber bands works great for box repairs. I've fixed many this way, on some boxes it is hardly noticeable. As far as taking away value...how can you hurt something that's already in pieces? A seriously damaged box probably isn't really worth much...so having it in one piece can only be an improvement. 8)

basto

This is how my 155 looked when I got it and I put new posts and a stronger stand on it, but it is not as smooth turning and does not have as good a free spool as when in original form.
This also happened with my 259.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

RowdyW

Maybe the left bearing is adjusted to tightly. It should have .005-.010 side play. Did you polish the spool shaft?                    Rudy

basto

Rudy
I put all the old parts back on my 155 and it is as smooth as could be and with good free spool again.

I remember putting a 500 aluminium spool on my 259 and it did not like it either.

Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

oc1

They say that if you replace a main gear you should replace the pinion too because they wear together to find the path of least resistance.  Maybe spools and bearings and stands do the same thing.  They have all worn and adjusted themselves to the total reel.
-steve