Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I believe that when mixing & matching parts from different reels you have to take the time to individualy fit the parts just like when customizing anything. Just bolting together parts might make it work but measuring & fitting each part makes everything run smoother. Just because a part will fit doesn't make it right. If you want to mix & match and have everything  running as smooth as possible start blueprinting each individual part. That's what customizing is all about. Shortcutting isn't worth the time & effort. IMO          Rudy

basto

Thanks Steve and Rudy for your replies. Words of wisdom for sure.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

thorhammer

I find this frequently.  It can get annoying taking a reel apart several times but I usually learn something in each project that escapes the naked eye...I have on on my bench now a coffee can special I banged together, a 68, which Is smooth but would not go out of gear. Thinking the jack tabs may not be proud enough I inspected and figured out there was a 10/60 jack in it which to the eye fits perfectly during assembly.  However it doesn't descend enough. 

Mo, 10-66 order coming your way!

John

Benni3

This Coronado is a little bit bigger than the 34

Bill B

Good find Ben. I'd give it a good soak in vinegar to see what's under all that corrosion.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Very cool old Coronado Ben.

My eyeball tells me that is the 400 yard version. By the looks of it, I'd say the original owner loved to fish it.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Benni3

coastal_dan

I agree Ted!  His left thumb was all over that ring on the left side plate!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Benni3

This just came in the mail

Superhook

Benni,

A 1933 Kingfisher /Penn Sea Ford trade reel . Good find.

Ray

BryanC

Nice pick up.  I was the second highest bidder on that one :).  Nice to see it go to another member.  Are the spool flanges german silver?

Superhook

The side flanges are nickel plated over German Silver for 1933 & 1934 .

Benni3

Quote from: BryanC on April 01, 2017, 02:42:54 AM
Nice pick up.  I was the second highest bidder on that one :).  Nice to see it go to another member.  Are the spool flanges german silver?
thanks ray,,, bryan  made 1 bid and then fish started biting  :-[

Bill B

Ben, you are on a roll....that's a good find....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

Quote from: TARFU on April 01, 2017, 03:26:07 AM
Ben, you are on a roll....that's a good find....Bill
thanks Bill   ;D