Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Nice find. 1933 reels are always a great find for a collection.

Benni3

Yard sale $25 collecting is a bad habit  :)

steelhead_killer

Friend dropped by with these two 9/0's:

><)))">

oc1

That's a cool wood knob.  Someone put a lot of work into cleaning them up.
-steve

Maxed Out

Andy, your friend has a couple nice 9/0's. The top one is 1937ish, and the bottom one looks to be early Gen 2 from the early 40's. Both are in great condition, especially the early gen 2 reel. Seldom found in that condition. Whenever I see one that nice it makes me wonder how it survived all these years. Thanks for sharing.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelhead_killer

Steve that knob did not look like wood to me.  I could be mistaken.  Ted I think you are correct on the vintages.  At least that is what my friend  said to me.  The first gen knob is like a resin or something.  It has a swirl in it but not a grain like wood.  Any ways the Gen 2 was in spectacular shape. Beautiful old reels.

Andy
><)))">

Maxed Out

Andy, here are the same 2 reels, except the small knob is not resin swirled and has no oil port. The torpedo on this 1941 9/0 is rosewood Steve.

steelhead_killer

Ted so what is the small knob?  Wood?

Andy
><)))">

Maxed Out

Mike or Ray can answer that one Andy

Bill B

I've had this JM 500 sitting on the shelf for while, a gift from the wife  :o.  Was surprised to find a chromed bridge, eccentric jack and chromed steel main gear.  The spool is red plastic.  Need to install carbon fiber drags and ready to fish.  Love opening up gifts and finding a sweet surprise inside.....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broadway

Andy, did your friend drop them by for service or sold them to you? If he wants them serviced buy him 2 brand new 9/0's and hang onto those. ;) ...love me some 30's and 40's 9/0's!
Ted, thanks for busting out the "showstoppers"... simply beautiful.
Thanks
Dom

AC49

Hi can anyone shed some more light on this Black Penn Senator 6/0 and its history ?
Thanks AC

sdlehr

History? Born in Philadelphia some time between 1950 and 55. I don't think the handle is original, but I could be wrong. At least through '57 they came with a counterbalanced handle. This model 4/0 (edit: Oops, 6/0) was introduced in '39. Yours has parts numbers, so I know it was born after 1950. It appears to have a three-piece spool, which can explode under the load of heavily-wound monofilament line. The new chromed, cast-bronze spools came out in '56, so I would say yours is an early '50's (50-55) model with a replaced handle. Hopefully, someone who knows for sure will chime in and comment on the handle. Are you going to fish it? They're not at all scarce.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

AC49

Thanks Sid

4/0 ? It clearly states 6/0 on the side plate and the handle is 24-114 which I understand to be correct for the reel or am I wrong ?

Regards AC

mo65

The older pre-war Penns are a tough find in my neck of the woods...but...when they do show up they're often in great shape. How's that? Simple, the only salt around here is on the kitchen table! :D  Once again, my old man killed it at the auction, he nabbed this gem of a LB 65 for the massive sum of four bucks. Yeah...I know...four bucks! :o  The first pic shows exactly what he bought, just a little oil residue on an otherwise mint reel. I couldn't resist giving it a spit shine. The other photos are after my cleaning. The "marbling" in the knob is reminiscent of Lou's acrylics, never saw a stock torpedo knob in brown with so much character. The clamp stand is a sweet bonus too. I feel like I could rub elbows with Ted on this one! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~