Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

AC, knowing Sid as I do, expect 4/0 was just a typo. He's a very exacting dude on all things Penn.

Mo, that's a great find. I buy any Penn for $4 just for a part or two....

AC49

Thanks Thorhammer any comments on the handle ? Catelin or Rosewood ?

Maxed Out

Heck of a score Mo. I'd value this 65 at around $100. Your 65 would be nearly impossible to "upgrade" in a collection. Love the rootbeer knob !! I'd hafta say that I can't rub shoulders with you on this beauty. My guess is not too many collectors have one this nice. Your dad has a good eye !!  -Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Mo,
  Really nice spruce up job on that beauty. Like Ted said, I would say it's near in value to $100 as well... that's because of that handle.  You don't see one like that very often if ever.
Well done Mo's dad and well done bringing her back to life.
Keep it up,
Dom

Benni3

oc1

Nice one Mo.  Mike says that tail plate picture is a hard one to find;
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12512.0
-steve

Alto Mare

Mo, I'll pay you double of what you've spent  :)...nice reel, you did really good.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: AC49 on April 03, 2017, 05:20:51 PM
Thanks Sid

4/0 ? It clearly states 6/0 on the side plate and the handle is 24-114 which I understand to be correct for the reel or am I wrong ?

Regards AC
Yes, 6/0 it is. It was a typo, as John suggested :)  I've corrected it.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

AC49

Thanks for the info Sid.
Can anyone tell me what the handle knob is made of and how to identify the material used.
Thanks
AC

Penn Chronology

QuoteCan anyone tell me what the handle knob is made of and how to identify the material used.

Most early Penn reel knobs are made from Catalin. Catalin is similar to Bakelite in that the chemical make up is the same. The main different is that Bakelite uses fillers along with the chemical ingredients while Catalin uses no fillers.

AC49

Thanks for the info Mike.
Also have a wooden handle on a Senator 114H.
What time period was the wooden handle used ?

thorhammer

Quote from: AC49 on April 05, 2017, 08:25:35 AM
Thanks for the info Mike.
Also have a wooden handle on a Senator 114H.
What time period was the wooden handle used ?

that looks like Bakelite. in any case, disassemble that particular reel and throw everything but the drag washers in a bath of white vinegar for a coulple, rinse, and wipe with Neverdull or at least Penn reel cleaner and you will not believe how clean it will be. that one looks pretty corrosion free. That vintage are beasts.

AC49

Thorhammer Bakelite was invented in 1907 and Catalin came around in 1928. True Bakelite was only made in two varying colors: brown and black. It could only be made in these two colors because of the extreme heat it endured while being cured.
Pretty sure the handle knob is wood ....but could be wrong ?