Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC49

Further info from the net ... Catalin is also a thermoset plastic made of formaldehyde and phenol with no fillers. Therefore it can be restored and reworked (using the right saftey precautions of course). Catalin is usually very colorful. Over time Catalin develops a patina, there is NO white Catalin (unless it has been restored, reworked, or has never seen sunlight). Sunlight causes the Catalin to yellow or "petina". All of the original white Catalin has yellowed over time, and clear to "apple juice", blue to green or teal, purple to brown or tan, while green, orange and red stay about the same. White marbling in marbled pieces will be yellowed. Catalin also shrinks over time, that is why most of the radios have cracks, warping, and the fiberboard on the back no longer fits.

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhat time period was the wooden handle used ?

That is a loaded question. Penn used wood as a handle knob material from the early1930's into the early 1950's more regularly than after the 1950's. During those years wood was not a high end product. The synthetics were the new, high end materials. As time moved on and wood became more endangered and exotic. Wood became the special material. Penn used Rosewood and zebra wood. Today Zebra wood is protected. So answering that question is almost impossible because Penn used different kinds of wood throughout its history. I would say that as soon as possible, Penn moved away from wood because in truth, wood is not as controllable as a synthetic product and high quality woods are more expensive. Wood is a very imperfect product. Synthetics are more predictable.

AC49

Thanks Mike.
As the world renowned Penn expert your opinion and feedback is always greatly appreciated.
Would these type of wooden (I am still presuming) handle knobs be common on the Senator 114-H ?
Regards AC

AC49

Ok after looking a bit closer and some spit and polish I am more confused .... it seems white in color ... but not wooden ?
Any help seeing white catalin seems a remote possibility ...?? ??? ??? ???

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Mike.
As the world renowned Penn expert your opinion and feedback is always greatly appreciated.
Would these type of wooden (I am still presuming) handle knobs be common on the Senator 114-H ?
Regards AC

I would never say wood is common; Common is the plastic handle.

QuoteOk after looking a bit closer and some spit and polish I am more confused .... it seems white in color ... but not wooden ?
Any help seeing white catalin seems a remote possibility ...?? Huh? Huh? Huh?

I know that Catalin is not supposed to be made in white, as is discolors; but, I will not speculate anymore. When the opportunity presents itself. I will ask the real world renown Penn expert. I am just a messenger........

AC49

Some research shows that possibly these handle knobs are made from ABS plastic (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene).
Anyone heard of this substance ??

oc1

The 114h is likely 60's or 70's and the knob was originally bright white.  ABS and PVC were both commonly used for hard plastic gizmos both then and now.  PVC is a little harder than ABS I believe.  Coincidentally, white PVC pipe turns that same pinkish color as in the photo with age or prolonged heat.
-steve

AC49

Thanks Steve
Appreciate your feedback.
Does the ABS have any obvious changes through prolonged heat etc. ?
AC

oc1

They both become more brittle.
-steve

Bill B

This 350 Level Wind showed up from my favorite charity auction, $9.99+ shipping.  A little rough around the edges, the level wind bar looks like someone was using either wire line or a really course braid, as there are scratches where the line would be running.  The handle is kind of cool too, caramel brown with some clear yellow inclusion in it....figure Im gonna need new drags at the minimum, i will wait until I tear into it, before getting the parts, the level line ratcheting seems a little sketchy too.....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Surprisingly, Bill --

Those old 350 LevelLines really work well to move the line back and forth on the spool -- evening out the line lay.

Most of the parts are plain old Penn White Bread, common parts --

With the exception of the levelline mechanism -- which require specific parts.

And plates and rings.

These parts are possibly beyond rare as NOS, or even used.  However, if needed, I have some of the tougher ones.

That looks like an older or early 350 -- so you may want to just clean it up to restored, used condition.

There are a few tell tale signs on that reel that may indicate a early 50's reel -- although parts could have been changed around -- and Mike shows these being produced until the early 80's.

Never caught on too well -- however it performed flawlessly when operated by a good angler.

The LL system reminds me of a watch mechanism -- and is very strong and robust.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

I'm thinking might be a shelf princess, drags are small for a reel this size (6-155). Depending on what I find inside there maybe an order coming you're way Fred for some parts...I'm kind of diggin the handle with clear yellow...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Soren Bredberg

I just bought my first Penn reel the other day here in Australia for just under $AU30. Nothing fancy just the Delmar 285 with black plastic spool a stuffed box, tool, lube, spare metal spool and sad looking catalogue. The reel looks and works great so I'm very happy. Looking forward to buy more older Penn reels even though I'm an ABU person. 

Benni3

Thats a nice reel now your hooked  ;D