Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Thanks for your input on the 350 got a no 9 in today Christmas colors,,,,I'm sure the maroon side plate didn't belong there?,,but the corrosion looks consistently bad  :)

sdlehr

Quote from: Benni3 on June 06, 2017, 05:30:05 AM
I'm sure the maroon side plate didn't belong there?,,but the corrosion looks consistently bad  :)
Penn often did special orders of non-matching side plates for pier rental outfits that wanted to be able to recognize their rented reels from a distance. This is probably what you have.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

That one's a bit rough but put it all in a white vinegar bath and see what you have left. If still crappy I'd snag a decent maroon 9 off the Bay for cheap (because the parts will be period correct like chrome or SS spool and amber handle) and swap it out with your plates. I have a box of 8 disassembled 9's that I will get around to putting something decent eventually. Love those, have a couple dozen.

John

Penn Chronology

I would think this is a Penn 9 that was repaired years down the road after the Green Monofils. The green parts did not last long, so if your 1955 green Penn 9 needed a side plate in 1972, it would get replaced with a more modern color like maroon or black. The only Colormatic reel that was ordered from Penn with different side plate color, that I know of, was the 209 because it was a popular Party Boat aka Head Boat reel.

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on June 06, 2017, 12:50:45 PM
Penn often did special orders of non-matching side plates for pier rental outfits that wanted to be able to recognize their rented reels from a distance. This is probably what you have.

Sid
Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 06, 2017, 02:32:46 PM
I would think this is a Penn 9 that was repaired years down the road after the Green Monofils. The green parts did not last long, so if your 1955 green Penn 9 needed a side plate in 1972, it would get replaced with a more modern color like maroon or black. The only Colormatic reel that was ordered from Penn with different side plate color, that I know of, was the 209 because it was a popular Party Boat aka Head Boat reel.
I defer to Mike's expertise. Forget what I wrote, it's a 9, not a 209.

Sid
Sid Lehr

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Benni3

You guys are amazing and the members here on Alan tani are incredible,,,thanks again for your help.

Maxed Out

1954 Penn introduced the monofil. It was simply a 155 with a different label. The intention was to scoop up the market for new monofilament line. The owner of this grey monofil obviously wasn't ready to switch from linen to mono.....and after a quick wipedown I have also concluded the original owner did not fish very much. ;) ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

It had Ashaway brand braided nylon line.
-steve

thorhammer

sdlehr

Ted, I don't know how you do it. Again and again.
Sid Lehr

Benni3

That's a very clean reel,,,good job

Oceanreels

Here is a complete set that doesn't turn up to often. 1937 Penn 9/0. This one has the first 1937 paper. The second paper for 1937 has the 12/0 Senator, Long Beach Deluxe and 100 yard Newport shown. Haven't had a chance to clean it yet. Anyone have the second 1937 paper they want to part with?
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

thorhammer

coastal_dan

:o  What a find!  Thanks for sharing that beauty with us.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...