Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAnyone have the second 1937 paper they want to part with?

It is in the 1937 Chapter in the Blue Book, page 49 & 50. If you want, I can email you a good scan of it.

Nice find on the early Model 115! Not too many left I would think.

Oceanreels

Mike,
  Thanks, you already sent me a scan. I'm looking for an original.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Maxed Out

Fantastic find Brian !!!

Very few of these boxes have survived and you got the full meal deal which is about as rare as a unicorn.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

fishgrain

it's fun to speculate about what it was like to be a part of Penn Fishing Tackle during the 1940's.

fishing is still the best cure i have found for anxiety, and what better time for a great story to get even better.

big game fishing was booming in the late 1930's, still a rich mans sport of course which Mr. Henze was wise to recognize.

I would imagine with the instant market success of the 16/0, Penn began investing more heavily into deeper production runs of 16/0 specific parts in the early 40's.

In other words perhaps they were building up their stock while also scaling the advertising exposure ALA the 1942 Field and Stream ad.

But then of course plans were foiled, leaving the firm with a greater supply than the market would consume in the short term.

The new demands from the Govt. probably rendered whatever inventory management system they had in place at the time useless.

Probably had everything organized all nice and neat (think F. Oakes shop lol), constantly optimizing to build reels more efficiently,
and then had to re-engineer their operating procedures including inventory storage and handling in order to meet the newly gifted responsibilities of helping the country in a new way.

And since they still weren't even numbering their parts, maybe things got a little messy until the dust settled.

Whatever the specifics of the time, this one still managed to find its way into the market, precisely when =>  ??? ???

thanks,

Jay Grob

Maxed Out

Wow, now that is one sweet 1940's 16/0. Definitely drool worthy.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Wow...love that reel fishgrain...she's a beaut! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

broadway

Brian,
   I'm not sure how you do it, but you seem to unearth some of the most amazing examples of Penn reels.  Thanks for showing that relic and the Penn paper... those are near impossible to find for some of us. ;)
Nice find,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Great finds Brian and Jay.
The Senator will always be my favorite. ;)
Life is Good!

wailua boy

Here's my first 190 and unnumbered. I don't recall hearing too much about this reel.

54bullseye

Here is an early 12/0 Senator mounted on a Montague Double built all roller rod "Allen rollers I believe". I am going to fill it with linen this weekend.   John Taylor

54bullseye

part 2

Swami805

WOW, I'm thinking you have some kind of time portal in the basement that allows you to go back and find this stuff. Just WOW
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

I have had the rod for 5 or 6 years but got the reel less than a year ago and I though they would go together nicely.