Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Very nice reel ,,,,my dad likes to use #9 on the lake  :)

Decker

My name is Joe, and I'm a Penn-aholic.

RowdyW

Relax Joe, you are among friends with the same affliction. It's very serious, that's why we have to meet daily for discussions.  ;D ;D         Rudy

mo65

OK...question...why isn't this thread stickied? 29 pages should qualify it. There is some great reading in this one. 8)
You got it Mo,
Daron
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Quote from: mo65 on July 25, 2017, 02:22:09 PM
OK...question...why isn't this thread stickied? 29 pages should qualify it. There is some great reading in this one. 8)
You got it Mo,
Daron

Thanks Daron.

Even the blind hog gets an acorn now and then. This 259 Live Bait Caster is just as I found it for 30 bucks shipped. I feel like I should apologize or something...;D

54bullseye

Boy it looks like new !!  Nice find and nice price  !!   John Taylor

oc1

Nice.  What do ya' think?  '55ish?
-steve

fishgrain

Sweet reel Mo always sweeter when the price is right

Benni3

Nice reel,,,I like that green knob

Bill B

Hey brother if you find yourself not sleeping well at night, just send it my way.... I'll sleep just fine with that in the display case...good pick   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on July 30, 2017, 12:58:04 AM
Nice.  What do ya' think?  '55ish?
-steve

I can't really say Steve. The best I can narrow it to is early 50s-59 just by the numbered parts.
I wish there was a way to know which ones used those pesky narrow gear sleeve posts. Seems like every time I wanna beef up one of these things it has that darn bridge post that won't work with modern ss sleeves. Other than that little pitfall I really like these 259s. 8)

Maxed Out

Nice score once again Mo.....AKA Mojo  :D :D.... You are on a roll and no reason to stop now !!

The tongue on the seat looks to be more squared shape and not tapered as much as the later version. That dates your nice 259 to 1950-55. The cool green/yellowish swirled knob seems to also be a early 50's thing (IMHO)

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Ted or Mo, or whoever, do you know what year the knob went from a football to a torpedo?  Also, did it happen all at once and in all models?  That would be handy thing to know.
-steve

fishgrain

and it lives to fish another day,

jay grob