Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 08, 2017, 07:14:34 AM
QuoteWait...whoa...hold on now! Do you mean the knobs were turned? Like on a lathe? That explains a lot! Like the nearly endless varieties of shape between "football" and "torpedo"...I've been enlightened!
I always figured they were cast like the plates. Shocked

I have asked a former Penn CEO about the machined verse molded or cast handle knobs and I seemed to have opened a can of worms. He cannot remember exactly whether the handle knobs were machined or not. He believes some had machine marks on them. I feel they were turned. Anyways, here is his response. As more info comes in I will pass it on.

""""Mike, I've done some asking around and don't have a definitive answer. However when we closed down the spinning reel plant in Hegins pa there were a couple of 55 gallon drum's of handle knobs that we're very early and I grabbed a few handfuls of them. I'm gonna dig them out of the box when I get some time in a couple weeks and we should be able to see machine marks because these I remember had some machining marks
"""""

Interesting information Mike, one of those 55 gallon drum's could make you retire ;D.
Thanks for your continuous hard work,  always trying to get to the bottom of it.
It's very much appreciated.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Wow, I'm surprised, I thought those were purchased molded from the supplier... look at how similar other manufacturers' handle grasps are.... just ask Lou how much work it would be to turn one of those. That's crazy, but it was in the days when materials were more expensive than labor.... but I'm still dubious. I will now go to my collection with a magnifying glass to look for machining marks.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

I suspect the total answer to this question will be that both answers are correct. Depending  what time in Penn history we are talking about.

Penn Chronology

Wait...whoa...hold on now! Do you mean the knobs were turned? Like on a lathe? That explains a lot! Like the nearly endless varieties of shape between "football" and "torpedo"...I've been enlightened!
I always figured they were cast like the plates. Shocked

I have asked a former Penn CEO about the machined verse molded or cast handle knobs and I seemed to have opened a can of worms. He cannot remember exactly whether the handle knobs were machined or not. He believes some had machine marks on them. I feel they were turned. Anyways, here is his response. As more info comes in I will pass it on.

""""Mike, I've done some asking around and don't have a definitive answer. However when we closed down the spinning reel plant in Hegins pa there were a couple of 55 gallon drum's of handle knobs that we're very early and I grabbed a few handfuls of them. I'm gonna dig them out of the box when I get some time in a couple weeks and we should be able to see machine marks because these I remember had some machining marks
"""""

Interesting information Mike, one of those 55 gallon drum's could make you retire Grin.
Thanks for your continuous hard work,  always trying to get to the bottom of it.
It's very much appreciated.

Sal

Posted on: August 07, 2017

Ha, what is going to make me retire is my bad knees.. :)

Funny how such a simple question can cause investigation and research.

sdlehr

I find no evidence of machine marks on the polished surface, but the grooves have a different, unpolished finish, so it would appear that either they weren't molded, or perhaps they were molded but the easier to polish surface of the knob was polished and the groove was not, so I'm afraid I'm not adding much to this. As a side note, while I was looking with magnification I noticed a seam on the metal sleeve on the handle for the first time. I thought those were tubes, not rolled. Wrong again!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteI find no evidence of machine marks on the polished surface, but the grooves have a different, unpolished finish, so it would appear that either they weren't molded, or perhaps they were molded but the easier to polish surface of the knob was polished and the groove was not, so I'm afraid I'm not adding much to this. As a side note, while I was looking with magnification I noticed a seam on the metal sleeve on the handle for the first time. I thought those were tubes, not rolled. Wrong again!

Never worry about being wrong. Every time you give an opinion, that possibility always exists. It simply places you in the category of being human.

Decker

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 08, 2017, 02:28:26 PM
Funny how such a simple question can cause investigation and research.

I can smell the smoke from here ;D

oc1

They may have been molded and then burnished by hand.
-steve

The Great Maudu

This has got to be the most amazing thread in the history of message boards. I initially entered the fray back around page 6. I figured I would make another cast at it. Look at the first pic. All 5 reels look pretty much the same except for the handle knobs. But when you turn them sideways you see the real story.

JRD

Picked this up on flea bay just for the spool to go in a surfmaster project.  $13.50 plus $4.50 shipping.  Looked fair in the picts, but in person it's too good to tear down for parts.  It's got a tiny elegant 24-100 handle with oiling point, nice picture tail plate and head plate.  Barely looks fished and no marks on the screws.  So now I'm back in the hunt for a surfmaster metal / aluminum spool.

broadway

Maudu, Now I know where all the wide 49's are. :o
Dom

thorhammer

Hey, what stand you got there on the 180? Looks like a 49 stand for a clamp kit. Nice little reel, as you say they can be had cheaply. 

broadway

You're right, John... or maybe an Ocean City stand.

JRD

Quote from: thorhammer on August 09, 2017, 12:48:58 PM
Hey, what stand you got there on the 180? Looks like a 49 stand for a clamp kit. Nice little reel, as you say they can be had cheaply. 

It was the picture angle, just a regular 30-180.  The handle is making me happy I've never come across the small knobs with oiling ports.  The stamp is either a 24-100 or 24-109, I just can't read that last number.

mo65

Sweet stable Maudu! Love those 49s. I have been eye-ballin' the 349s lately...may have to spring for one soon. ;)

It's a #24-109 handle JRD. I've used them several times on small reels...they are a very comfortable handle for 180s, 109s, Surfy 100s. I also like the #24-85 handle on 146 Squidders and Mag 10s. It's a hair bigger...but same basic feel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~