Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wailua boy

I just picked up this 140 squidder. Im thinking 50's era but please correct me if wrong and any details are always appreciated. It did come with box but its pretty tattered and can barely make out price. Im really loving these reels. I live in a region where you virtually never see them fished. In fact Ive never seen one locally, now you'll see people shore casting senators all day; funny the squidder never has appealed to Hawaii's fisherman.

Maxed Out

I've had plenty of squidders thru the years and yours does have part numbers. The only other hint of date of manufacture is the headplate. You'll notice the words "off, Gear, on" for the eccentric. ....That went away around 1955-56. Also if this is original box, it has "fair trade price" which I believe also went away prior to mid 50's

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

I'm no expert, but the shape of that knob screams the fifty's.
Cool reel.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Mid 1950's.... Great surf casting reel. World class.

steelfish

this is my lastest adquisition, just the way I got it a week ago, still havent performed the Alantani way on it yet.

The Baja Guy

Decker

Quote from: steelfish on August 23, 2017, 04:15:00 PM
this is my lastest adquisition, just the way I got it a week ago, still havent performed the Alantani way on it yet.

Your first International?   ::) Moving up in the world ::)   

The only first-hand look I ever got at one of those was when someone paid $500-1000 a day to take me fishing  :D

steelfish

you know, its not my first international, I actually own a 50s that a customer never wanted to fix, so he sold it to me at a terrific price, I didt felt exited from that one as Im with the 16s because the 50s is bit too big for my normal use, but my compulsive buyer mind follows the rule of " its better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it".  ;D ;D this will be my dedicated big grouper and shark reel

any way,  international 50s was the first but the 16s will see 5x more action that the bigger brother for sure, as a side note, whan I was starting in fishing I remember that I saw the fishing magazines and saw those big golden reels on the fancy boats and always wanted to have one of those reels until I found the price tag on them, Yay !! well once again the "reel repair" knowleage learned from AT ohana put me on a way to now own two of them, I have a lot of things to thanks to be part of this brothehood community

this its the reel when it was brought to me almost a year ago
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19899.0

the reel is already fixed and alantanitazed

The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fishgrain

that is one sweet little reel, was a perfect way to "get my feet wet" working on 2 speeds

Jay

Dominick

Alex I love the look and feel of those Internationals.  They are the go to reels for big game fishing.  Good luck with those.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

thanks guys, I also love the look of those old model international

pretty sure they will be keepers on my arsenal
The Baja Guy

foakes

We are at the coast for a few days --

Whenever we come over to the coast -- of course I look for bargains on fishing reels.

Came over to Randy's "for sale" stuff at Jerry's Marine in Morro Bay --

Bought (3) Penns --

A very nice old 350 in perfect condition with the exception of the owners name etched on the stand --

A really good 309 -- just needs a LW guide, pawl, and pawl cap.

And a neat old 1/0 -- that was obviously used by Vinnie Verdigris.  

These are just fun old reels for me to restore as new.

They will all get a complete breakdown, clean & service, CF with Cal's, modern lubes, etc.

The 350 will get a new stand -- easy enough, have plenty of those.

The 309 will get a new LW guide and pawl -- also easy, have plenty of those new.

The little 1/0 will get all new exterior metal and new sideplates -- fortunately, I have sideplates, rings, posts, stand, star, spacer, bearings and screws.  Maybe a new spool -- although, I may install the old leather drag washers in this one -- I have a bunch of NOS leather discs from decades ago.

I will post pics when they are all done in a day or two after we return.  Then just toss them in the for sale box.

Hard to pass up the bargain's at Randy's display -- something for everyone -- top quality brands -- and all super reasonably priced.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

El Pescador

Fred!

You travel with your Taco Bell Serving Trays???

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

swill88

Quote from: El Pescador on September 08, 2017, 05:03:20 PM
Fred!

You travel with your Taco Bell Serving Trays???

Wayne

Those trays are standard at the Reel Repair Motel in Moro bay.

:D steve :D