Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Maxed Out

Mr f350, you have a very rare early 2nd gen 9/0. What makes it unique is no front lugs or harness. If it were mine, my curiosity would make me remove the tail plate and look on the inside to see if the plate has a cutout for the lug and if the factory filled that void with a lug blank or no lug cutout at all.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 28, 2017, 08:55:27 PM
Mr f350, you have a very rare early 2nd gen 9/0. What makes it unique is no front lugs or harness. If it were mine, my curiosity would make me remove the tail plate and look on the inside to see if the plate has a cutout for the lug and if the factory filled that void with a lug blank or no lug cutout at all.

Ted
Thanks Ted, I believe when I had it apart there was no front lug cutout at all. I will confirm Monday when I get home.

-Chris
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

broadway

Mo, I have a couple of those 1/0's Mint like that and you nailed it with that one... she is MINT! If she wasn't I have no doubt you could make her a 10... I've seen you're work lately and WOW!
Keep it up you have a good eye,
Dom
PS- Chris, I can't stop looking at that handle... she's a showstopper! ... One of the prettiest I've seen.

Penn Chronology

Thanks everyone! I also recently acquired this 9/0 with lighthouse box. Using Mike's blue book, it looks like 1939-41 maybe judging by the price? I gotta start taking 'as found" pics. This one had just a little scruff to her as you can see, but not much.

Very interesting reel. Using the catalogs as a guide, that reel shold not exist. It has no front lugs, yet the head plate is a second generation configuration. When I see reels like this I always think a transitionary model.

I put the reel in the 1948 / 49 range. I cannot see the price on the box. To be a post war reel in a Lighthouse box (1946 to 1949) it should read $32.50. If the price is less than $32.50, it is a pre-war reel. If that is the case, you have found a very special model or the reel and box do not belong together. In any case, the reel is very special because its build style shares first and second generational characteristics.

Great find! :o :o

1badf350

Hmmmm. Mike the price on the box is $29.00. To be 48/49 it should have part numbers right? There are none. Guess im gonna have to disassemble her on monday. I will post more pics then. Thanks
-Chris
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on September 29, 2017, 04:51:41 PM
Hmmmm. Mike the price on the box is $29.00. To be 48/49 it should have part numbers right? There are none. Guess im gonna have to disassemble her on monday. I will post more pics then. Thanks
-Chris
Part numbers started in '50
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Chris, the $29 price reflects 1942 or before

Your reel is likely 1941 as that has already been proven to be when the 9/0 gen2 configuration was first introduced. Most had front lugs, but over the years I've seen a handful of gen2 with no front lugs or harness. Yours belongs in a museum

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Oceanreels

Chris, 2 very, very nice 9/0 reels. Ted is correct as likely being early 1941 reel. There a couple interesting things about the early 2nd gen, 9/0 reels without the front lugs as to date. First we know that they started in 1941 and  that was also the first year that the 9/0 had front/ harness lugs. We also know that you find a few 1940 first gen reels with the external drags ( first year for them on the 9/0 ). This makes me think that these 2nd gen. 9/0 reels without the front lugs could have been made in late 1940 or early 1941. Either way you have a very nice hard to find set.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Bill B

Picked up this 115 9/0 last night.....the old war horse is a victim of the California Rock Cod wars and is in need of some TLC....but when I saw that it had no part numbers I knew she had to come home for a spa day  ;)....Found no part numbers through out and a three piece spool.....I was a little skeptical seeing all that dacron but after pulling it off the chrome was not too bad...I was surprised the gear sleeve was in good shape considering the "Rock Cod" handle was extremely loose...that handle is going into the junk pile asap for a more appropriate handle....It did notice the "N" in Senator seemed to be a little off and remember a discussion here regarding letter font, but cant seem to find it.   Bill

And now she seems real comfortable among some of her stable mates
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

1badf350

Bill,
Always nice to see an old girl who's "been there, done that". I thought i had an extra original handle i would give you but I can't find it.
-Chris
-Chris

Bill B

chris thank you for looking....reading your "handle" I see F350.... I'm driving an '02 F350...... how about you?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

oc1

Neat reel Bill.  We have an '04 F-350, complete with the stock leaking windshield and recalled brakes.
-steve

1badf350

Well ive owned a 2000 and a 2002. Both 7.3 and jacked up with 38" tires.
But i got married, bought a house and now i drive a Fiesta LOL. Oh how times change.
I keep 1badf350 because its what i used for multiple forums over the years and its just easy to remember

-Chris
-Chris

1badf350

Quote from: 1badf350 on September 28, 2017, 09:23:17 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on September 28, 2017, 08:55:27 PM

Ted
Thanks Ted, I believe when I had it apart there was no front lug cutout at all. I will confirm Monday when I get home.

-Chris

Ok so Ted got me thinking about the front harness lugs. I just took the tail plate off for inspection and there are NO provisions for harness lugs. Pic attached. This is the area where the front lug would be on the tail plate

-Chris