Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Quote from: 1badf350 on October 02, 2017, 10:00:15 AM
Well ive owned a 2000 and a 2002. Both 7.3 and jacked up with 38" tires.
But i got married, bought a house and now i drive a Fiesta LOL. Oh how times change.
I keep 1badf350 because its what i used for multiple forums over the years and its just easy to remember

-Chris
Chris
I own a 2001 Larait crew cab full 8' body 7.3 F350 and a 2001 F350 one ton dump with a 7.3 then my daily driver a 2002 crew cab full 8' body with a 7.3 with 325,000 miles on it !   I love them !!!    John T.

Crow

Here's my latest e-bay "find".....keep your laughter to a minimum, please ! LOL ! A Penn 78, on a 6'foot rod, for $.99...plus the $7.97 shipping, of course. While my "rod wrapping" skills aren't very good...some new guides, a clean and lube on the 78, should give me several hours of enjoyment "in the doing"....and a few hours of fun , in the "using" !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

I can't see how you got hurt at all there Crow. That combo was once somebody's brand new rod & reel, it can be cleaned up fairly easy, and you scored it for under nine bucks...bravo! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

.99 cents!!! WOW cant believe nobody else bid a few cents more. I'd say good deal there Crow. Heck even if it ends up being a wall decoration.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

All that line wound around the rod is a bad sign.  Like the solid glass blank may have some cracks in it.  It too could be replaced for not much money.
-steve

Crow

That's the "wrapping thread'...the sealer...finish...whatever you call it, is all gone, and, the "threads" are actually rotted....you can just pull them apart. The blank, itself, seems pretty sound. I pulled the reel.....cotton line was all rotted on it, as well.......and tore it down for a "soak", and I discovered one problem. It apparently took a "hit" on the tail side bearing ....no damage on the outside of the plate, bur the hex brass insert in "popped out" on the inside. I used a bit of super glue, and secured that, so, when things get cleaned up, I'll see how it does. There are a few things I was going to order, so I'll add some guides, and thread, and have that ready, for "a rainy day" !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Shark Hunter

Those old knuckle busters were a thing of beauty in my opinion.
Memories of days gone by.
I have several.
Life is Good!

Decker

Here's a video of a guy surf fishing with the Sea Scamp 78:http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22164.0

Crow

It looks like the reel he's fishing is a "lefty" ! 

Decker

Quote from: Crow on October 05, 2017, 12:44:09 PM
   It looks like the reel he's fishing is a "lefty" ! 

Yeah, I was wondering... is it really a lefty or just a righty turned around?  The freespool lever is on the left front (not back) of the reel, so I think it's just turned around.

Crow

I'm betting he's just "fishing backwards"...while the gearing IS helical cut, the taper on the gear teeth is very slight, so , it would take a LOT of pressure (a REALLY nice fish !) to force the pinion off the spool. I spent an hour, or so, cleaning the reel , this morning, and , even with the "repaired" tail plate bearing, it has an amazing free spool ! Much better than my other 78. I may have to fish it, a bit, this weekend....and, I'll try the "backwards thing" (the small mouth I usually catch surely won't stress it very much ! LOL !). I need to figure the size guides I need, and get that stuff ordered, to !I have a pretty sizable (for me !) order to go to Scott's, too....just need to pick up a few more sacks of aluminum cans, to help defray the cost !

Crow

The plating is pretty well history...but the plates cleaned up nice !  It kind of reminds me of an old, speckled hound dog, I had once ::)!

Benni3

Great job,,, I always wanted to fish one

steelfish

its been a long time without finding anything worth on the local fleamarkets or FB sales, yesterday I saw an add on FB from a guy selling some reels, all others were real beat up fresh water stuff and the only saltwater reel was this one, I got it $20.
long story short, now its mine and Im exited cuz its my first 4/0 with top hat on the drag, not sure but it might also wear a steel main gear
almost all chrome parts are pitted from corrosion, looks like it was cleaned after the green stuff attacked and now it has the familiar chromeless spots all over, the internal side of the reelseat still has the green corrosion, not a problem with this, this will be my loaner reel after a good service.
The Baja Guy

Crow