Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I really don't know the reel to spool ratio as of yet, but I'm leaning on too many reels. ;)
Monofil's, Beachmasters, Surfmasters.
The reels are getting more expensive and hard to find in decent shape.
I see lots in the $50 range that are crusty.
I'm proud of this find. ;)

Life is Good!

mo65

You said you were going to narrow it Daron...can you tell us what it's going to be...a 160 or 180? 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

29L-100 spool, stainless posts and 30-49 stand.
180 width.
Life is Good!

Crow

I just got a couple "new" ones....a "501" size 500, and a 49. The jiggy has an aluminum spool...which I have been wanting to try.....my casting sucks ! It's a really clean reel...too clean, actually, as there wasn't a speck of lubrication...totally dry. That said, it really doesn't show any signs of use, let alone abuse !
   The 49 "looks new", as well....except for a bent reel stand. But , with no corrosion or rash, I guess I can spring for a new stad. The jiggy was $41.50, in my hand, and the 49 was &22.03.....the jiggy probably was "too much", but, I really wanted it !!LOL !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

1badf350

Hey Crow I have an extra 49 stand. Its not perfect but its straight. If you want it you can have it. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow
-Chris
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Thanks !  I PM'd you.    I'm really liking the Mariner series of reels......and I haven't even "fished" one yet ! I especially like the "reverse reeling" thing. I usually fish my spinners that way..."back reeling". It works well , here in the river, but, when I try it on a big black drum, in the Gulf....I may need new fingers !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

Ohana at work....good job guys....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

coastal_dan

Some nice treasures showing up for sure.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Swami805

This came in the mail today, pretty rough but it was in my financial wheelhouse so I took a swing ( sorry watching too much baseball). I'm thinking late thirties 9/0?  I'll see if I can get it torn down over the weekend and cleaned up. Everything works but the outer rings are cracked and a little dented. Handle knob is nice and tight. I'll add it to my fledgling collection. Too bad it can't talk   Did it take a beating fishing or just getting knocked around in storage?  I'll stick to the former, much better story!
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crow

I'm really liking that *oxblood* handle !

Maxed Out

Another 1st generation 9/0......Looks like the original owner liked to fish with it. Cool stuff !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

I saw that one, but those two cracks on top of the rings looked like the grand canyon. ::)
Life is Good!

1badf350

I think it will look good cleaned up. Good score! Post pics when you give her a bath
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

Yup they're toast, lots of crust,no clamp, no beauty queen. It's feels smooth like it works well,once that heavy spool gets spinning the free spool is good. Might be better to just leave the pitina and fish it a few times.
The seller sent a Orca leaflet in the box so I'm thinking it might look better inside than outside.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3