Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 24, 2017, 03:47:05 AM
QuoteWell I know this is going to get trampled by the "Model F controversy" but it's a pre part number 12/0 I bought of ebay a couple months ago and I just cleaned it up yesterday. I am not great a dating Penn reels like most of the rest of you but I am thinking 1940 or so ?

Happy Thanksgivings John. My humble opinion on this reel is that it is a late 1940's post-war reel because of the obvious fact that it is a second generation reel and that the spool is pinned and not drilled. I would think pre-war reels had drilled spools and the info is still controversial on whether the second gen build style for the Model 116 exists in a pre-war time zone for production reels. Maybe someone can document that. The catalogs say it ain't so...........
Again I am far from a Penn expert !!  I was thinking because of the way "Penn Senator 12/0" was written on head plate and that it had the "coin edge" type counter balance it was an earlier 2nd gen. I hadn't even thought about pinned spool ?   I guess I will spend some time in your books today !!    Thanks Mike !         John Taylor

broadway

John, while I know where Mike sits on the "first gen and second gen topic" others believe there are pre war
12/0's in the second gen style. There have been several debates on this topic. No matter what that's a First Class 40's 12/0 ya got there.
Enjoy her and yes, read mike's books for sure. Tons of info in them.
Dom

Swami805

That 12/0 does look very nice, great job on cleaning it up. early 40's,late 40's still a beauty of an old penn.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

QuoteAgain I am far from a Penn expert !!  I was thinking because of the way "Penn Senator 12/0" was written on head plate and that it had the "coin edge" type counter balance it was an earlier 2nd gen. I hadn't even thought about pinned spool ?   I guess I will spend some time in your books today !!    Thanks Mike !         John Taylor

The pinned spool is what makes me think your 12/0 is post war. We are really splitting hairs here. Even though the catalog ads for the 12/0 say the first gen did not exist until after the war, I can prove that wrong. There are early 1940's pre-war photos of second gen 12/0's. The last page of the 1941 catalog has a photo of a second gen 12/0 (see it in my Yellow Book, page 100, lower right photo). I do not dispute that, just that spool makes me think yours is a post war reel. I could be wrong, no real way of knowing without a box and catalog match for the reel. The coin edge handle and free spool lever could be pre or post war.

54bullseye

Mike
How about the logo doesn't that look early or did they use the same logo after the war ?   John

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike
How about the logo doesn't that look early or did they use the same logo after the war ?   John

No doubt that your reel is wearing a first generation logo. Here is a picture of a first generation reel wearing a second generation logo. That sort of shoots the logo theories down. The logos are the results of interchangeable mold plugs that were reused for many years.

54bullseye

Oh well I do like the reel !!   Thanks for all the info.   John Taylor

Penn Chronology

QuoteOh well I do like the reel !!   Thanks for all the info.   John Taylor

The reel is fabulous. Now you need to find a Lighthouse box and a appropriate catalog and remove all doubt of this reels origins for future generations.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

54bullseye

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 24, 2017, 08:02:48 PM
Very Nice 12/0 John. :o
Thanks Daron !  I think I like that little Everol 7 1/2 I just got better though !    John Taylor

broadway

Thanks for posting that photo, Mike.  I have never seen a first gen 12/0 with the "Second Gen" logo. Cool reel and one more "tell-tale" down the tubes. :-\
Dom

Tightlines667

Quote from: broadway on November 24, 2017, 08:45:54 PM
Thanks for posting that photo, Mike.  I have never seen a first gen 12/0 with the "Second Gen" logo. Cool reel and one more "tell-tale" down the tubes. :-\
Dom

Good point.

Prewar handle counterweight, 2nd gen gearbox, 2nd gen logo, likely an early post-war with a prewar handle.  However, I am in the camp that believes there were 2nd gen gearbox senators manufactured prewar.  Mike's point on catalogs is well taken though. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

Interesting photo of a second generation build style Penn Senator 12/0 taken probably around 1939 or 40  and published on the back cover page of the Penn Catalog #9 (1941). Reel should not exist according to the catalogs.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for posting that photo, Mike.  I have never seen a first gen 12/0 with the "Second Gen" logo. Cool reel and one more "tell-tale" down the tubes. Undecided
Dom

I believe this reel now lives in Australia at Ray's house. I dated this reel as a 1942 reel because it had a heavy stand with 1/4 clamp screws and the more modern logo. I placed it as pre-war reel because even though the logo was more modern, it was a first gen configuration and it also had a drilled spool. That drilled spool I feel is a key factor in approximating a Senator pre or post war status when the reel's other dating factors become questionable. It is just my opinion, but, I feel it works.

Swami805

Quote from: Swami805 on October 26, 2017, 09:32:38 PM
This came in the mail today, pretty rough but it was in my financial wheelhouse so I took a swing ( sorry watching too much baseball). I'm thinking late thirties 9/0?  I'll see if I can get it torn down over the weekend and cleaned up. Everything works but the outer rings are cracked and a little dented. Handle knob is nice and tight. I'll add it to my fledgling collection. Too bad it can't talk   Did it take a beating fishing or just getting knocked around in storage?  I'll stick to the former, much better story!
Sheridan

We'll finally had some time and tore it down. What a mess. Simple green vinegar  simachrome and a set of rings and it came out ok  works fine and would fish ok I bet. No shelf queen but I'll add it to the self
Do what you can with that you have where you are