Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Quote from: 54bullseye on November 24, 2017, 08:40:27 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 24, 2017, 08:02:48 PM
Very Nice 12/0 John. :o
Thanks Daron !  I think I like that little Everol 7 1/2 I just got better though !    John Taylor
Show me when you get it.
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

I believe this reel now lives in Australia at Ray's house. I dated this reel as a 1942 reel because it had a heavy stand with 1/4 clamp screws and the more modern logo. I placed it as pre-war reel because even though the logo was more modern, it was a first gen configuration and it also had a drilled spool. That drilled spool I feel is a key factor in approximating a Senator pre or post war status when the reel's other dating factors become questionable. It is just my opinion, but, I feel it works.
[/quote]

So now that I'm thoroughly confused...This 2nd gen 12/0 has 1st gen logo, large studs, and no pin on the spool. I think it's time to throw everything out the window and rethink these timelines that don't add up that are sometimes based on a single component
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

Picked up this 111 2/0. Has the old black box and everything but the catalog. I'm yrying to figure out the year but I couldn't with "the book". Has part numbers on the handle nut and bushings but not on the foot. Has external opening drags. Pretty good shape happy I found it
Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Superhook

Swami805,

The $15.00 price on the box indicates 1946-50 in "The Book"  . Part numbers are also post war late 40's .

Ray

sdlehr

Quote from: Swami805 on December 01, 2017, 02:28:14 PM
Picked up this 111 2/0. Has the old black box and everything but the catalog. I'm yrying to figure out the year but I couldn't with "the book". Has part numbers on the handle nut and bushings but not on the foot. Has external opening drags. Pretty good shape happy I found it
Thanks
It's got a mix of numbered/non-numbered parts, and as Ray said the price works for '46-'50, I'm going to go with 1950 based on the mixed parts numbers.....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Swami805

Thanks. Wasn't sure when they quit the external drag. Never had one before. Looks like a tough little reel.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Swami805 on December 02, 2017, 04:36:23 AM
Thanks. Wasn't sure when they quit the external drag. Never had one before. Looks like a tough little reel.

Nice reel and box.

Mike will know more
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

The Senator 2/0 is a Long Beach Deluxe, not really a Long Beach. The box is a late 1940's box, might be some left over boxes in the 1950's with this label. Reel should not have part numbers; but, who knows what parts were added during the servicing of the reel over the years.

The external drags on the Senator 2/0 officially went away in the 1956 catalog. All previous years had external drags, except for 1954 / 55. In those years guessing must be done because the small 1/0, 2/0 & 3/0 Senators were not pictured in the catalog, they were just listed in the text. That makes me feel that during those 54 / 55 production years, if you bought a Senator 2/0 it was likely to come either way. Penn was transitioning the model from external to internal drags.

Swami805

Thank you
The reel had been serviced at some point before I got it. Super clean inside and still had oil in the felt washer. Had some corrosion but cleaned up ok with vinegar and simple green
I have a few old long beaches, still looking for a deluxe in decent shape to come along
Sheridan

Oceanreels

Here is one I got a couple of months ago. Long Beach 66 made for Abbey & Imbrie. The reel had this blue painted wood handle on it. This is what the seller had to say about the reel.
    "Here is a seldom seen Abbey Imbrie casting reel, a Penn Long Beach 400 yard trade reel.  This is a pre-war (probably early 1940's) reel with engraved tail plate, long counterbalance, and no parts numbers, marked 400 YDS on the foot (stand).  Handle knob is wooden, asymmetrical, and repainted (blue paint on the handle stem).  I showed photos to a well known Penn collector and he believes the handle knob is original - "very unique but it resembles other wood knobs on the big game reels".  Please enlarge closeup photos and judge for yourself.  Shows light finish wear.  Cranks smoothly and the free spool lever, click, and star drag work.  A fine addition to your collection!"
Here are photos of the grasp with and without the blue paint. Also a photo of the " Broom Stick" grasp that Penn used on their first gen. 9/0.
    What do all of you think about the grasp??
  I have been able to get a pre war 67 to get a handle from. The 66, 67 use the same handle and plates. The tail plate on the 67 also has a chip in it so it. I would still like to find a better handle for the reel. This is also the reel that I'm trying to get a tail plate for as this one has a chip out of it.
    Something else that I felt was interesting about the Abbey & Imbrie reel and the reel I got for the handle is that they both have a Pinned spool not drilled. I feel that both reels are from 1940 as they have the Hersey Kiss clicker button and do not have the foot that uses a rod clamp. I don't feel that they are from 1939 as then they would have the waffle clicker button.  The catalog for 1941 shows the all Long beach reels with the new foot that has the rod clamp. from looking at the reels I feel that are the original spools and were not replaced at a later date.
     I felt this was interesting because a few post back ( John Taylor's early 12/0 ) there was some discussion about pinned spools not being pre-war.

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 24, 2017, 03:47:05 AM
QuoteWell I know this is going to get trampled by the "Model F controversy" but it's a pre part number 12/0 I bought of ebay a couple months ago and I just cleaned it up yesterday. I am not great a dating Penn reels like most of the rest of you but I am thinking 1940 or so ?

Happy Thanksgivings John. My humble opinion on this reel is that it is a late 1940's post-war reel because of the obvious fact that it is a second generation reel and that the spool is pinned and not drilled. I would think pre-war reels had drilled spools and the info is still controversial on whether the second gen build style for the Model 116 exists in a pre-war time zone for production reels. Maybe someone can document that (I just found a 12/0 second gen picture from 1941). The catalogs say it ain't so...........
Does anyone have pre-war reels that have pinned spools that came with box and catalog?
I will have to do more than one post for all the photos.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Oceanreels

More photos for the Abbey & Imbrie reel. The last one is the grasp from the 9/0. 3 more photos after these.

Oceanreels

Last 3 photos.

oc1

Your wood knob looks home made to me.
-steve

broadway

Brian,
  I wanted that reel pretty bad, but evidently you wanted it more. Happy it's in a good home. 
As for the pinned spool.  I agree with you in saying there were pre war pinned spools and it looks like you have one right there.
The grasps looks to be homemade not just by the simple fact that it's not peened the same way, but also, I think Penn would have made it more uniform.   Also, I;m not sure what type of wood that is but I never saw a Penn handle made from it.  Just some observations, I look forward to the gurus answering in.
Thanks for showing that rare bird,
Dom