Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

Hello Brian,

I have not seen that fat blue handle before although its shape reminds me of Ocean City's Long Key handle of around 1939 .

The LB Deluxe spools changed from drilled to line posts in the same 40/41 era.

Ray

foakes

Over in the Monterey Peninsula area for a few days celebrating our Anniversary.

Hit a couple of antique warehouses, found a bunch of over-priced reels and junky rods.

However, did find a maroon Squidder 140 for $24 with an incorrect box, clamps, and wrench.

Also found an old Seaford with the brown sideplates for $25.

Both should clean up nicely.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

That was worth the stop.  Seaford looks to be in pretty good condition, ant that was an absolute steel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

sdlehr

Good find, Fred! Enjoy your time away.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

Great find Fred! The Sea Ford is the surprise. Squidder's from the  1960's are great fishing reels. I always like finding a Squidder of any size at the right price; but, the Sea Ford is special. Don't see them everyday!!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

You did well Fred  :o :o

Both should clean up nice

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Man you guys have been posting some great stuff lately. I have been in a slump. This one showed up today. I didnt have to touch it. Its a Seagate but i dont know what year. $19 plus shipping

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

....ooh la la, nice score on the seagate in absolutely superb condition !!

I'm seeing all the signs of pre-war 41/42 era..... Congrats !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Yes sir...that's a very clean Seagate! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

Can u guys tell me if it is an all original Seagate?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Oceanreels

Quote from: 1badf350 on December 14, 2017, 03:20:14 PM
Can u guys tell me if it is an all original Seagate?
Nice looking reel. Looks like it to me.

Oceanreels

Here is a early second generation 14/0 I got a little while ago. This version of the 14/0 & 16/0 are often over looked. We know that by March of 1942 the 14/0 and 16/0 were second generation with the new large drags because of adds that show this.  I feel that the early second generation of these reels ( ones that still used the 12/0 drags ) were made for a year or less. Anyone have any information they can add about these early second generation reels?

foakes

Quote from: 1badf350 on December 13, 2017, 11:47:23 PM
Man you guys have been posting some great stuff lately. I have been in a slump. This one showed up today. I didnt have to touch it. Its a Seagate but i dont know what year. $19 plus shipping

There are experts on our site who will know -- one has already chimed in, Ted.  Others will be along shortly.

I am far from an expert on these -- but just pulled out a couple from the Penn bone bins -- and one seems older with the wood grip, hex clicker, and bakelite spool.  One seems a little newer.  Both have picture engraved tailplates.

It is easy over the years for parts to get mixed up on these due to necessity and common fit.  But yours looks pretty cool and original to my untrained eye.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.