Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 19, 2017, 03:18:59 AM
Nice reel Ted.

You have got to have one of the most extensive collections of early LB reels around, certainly some of the nicest reels.  Is this your first prewar with the clamp kit?

John, that's like asking Mr owl how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop  :D

The answer is 5 licks  ;D  ;D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

In between cleaning and restoring old reels for clients, as they are soaking and being US cleaned -- I try to get some of mine done also.

Nothing fancy, just stock -- but with upgraded CF's coated with Cal's, SS discs, Delrin UG washer.

This old Squidder I found last week over at the Coast for $24, along with the old Seaford are both completed now.

Full disassemble, evacuated all grease and crud, cleaned up and shine/burnish the interior parts, modern lubes..

Did change out the posts for new, along with the stand, crank, (2) tailplate rings, and a clamp kit.

Just quick and done -- but at least ready to fish.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNothing fancy, just stock -- but with upgraded CF's coated with Cal's, SS discs, Delrin UG washer.

That plus the new external parts makes for a great fishing reel.

Nice Job.

Bill B

Santa came early today  ;D   My 80 year old dad sent me three of his reels, that HE bought brand new....A JM 500L from the 60's (based on the Postal Code on the box) another 500L from the 70's in the tan box and a LB 65 from 70's also (according to his recollection) .....he said the 60's JM and the LB were fished about three times and shelved and the other JM never used  :o......All are in like new condition and will be getting Center Stage in the cabinet.  Dad wasn't much of a conventional guy, but said the could cast the JM 40 yards further than he could with a Mitchell 302 ....Hmmmm and he wasn't a conventional type of guy  ::)....hence the homemade thumb break......Thanks Dad  ;)  I'm hoping Santa is going to be nice to the AT Ohana this year......Bill 

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Bill B

Thanks guys.....I'm starting to wonder what else Pop's has stashed he's not telling me about  ???

He passed this jeweled gem to me, a Roll's Engineering Model 300, a few years back......Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

nice collection bill! Looks like you have a couple of silver spools for that Jigmaster, if you need to have a red spool maybe we could switch.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

Really nice Penns Bill, but that Rolls is something special.  I read the stuff at ORCA but did you ever find out anything about it?  It seems weird that a reel maker in Los Angeles could disappear without a trace.
-steve

Maxed Out

Beautiful reels and the silver jiggy spool is a huge bonus.

Two thumbs up !! ....actually 3 thumbs  :D  :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteA JM 500L from the 60's (based on the Postal Code on the box)

That model is hot item. The reel is a first generation Jigmaster 500L. It is in a 1960's Blue Box with a sticker updating the box with the New Aluminum spool Jigmaster. The actual release date of that reel is 1975. The postal code on the box may represent the 1960's but it is obviously a left over box from the 1960's that Penn placed the new 500L stickers on until the regular 500L box could be made. That aluminum silver spool was only used from 1975 to 1977 when Penn changed to the red aluminum spool in 1978. It is a keeper, especially since yours is so nice. I would think that model with the first gen box is not so easy to find. Here is the introduction of the 500L from the 1975 catalog.

Maxed Out

Hi Mike, the boxes are sorda tough to find, but I'm pretty sure they used the sticker for all 3 years of the silver spool. Anyways, here would be what to look for.

On the left is 1st year silver spool jigmaster box, right is 1st year box for the red spool on the 500S model

Ted

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have never seen a 500L come out of a box with a red aluminum spool.  I may be wrong, but I am 99% sure that they were introduced for and shipped with the 500S exclusively, except by mistake.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have never seen a 500L come out of a box with a red aluminum spool.  I may be wrong, but I am 99% sure that they were introduced for and shipped with the 500S exclusively, except by mistake.

You are correct according to the catalog. I believe the red spool was only used from 1978 to 1980 for the 500S only.

Merry Christmas!

Penn Chronology

QuoteHi Mike, the boxes are sorda tough to find, but I'm pretty sure they used the sticker for all 3 years of the silver spool. Anyways, here would be what to look for.

Great finds for those boxes. I would think they are hard to add to a collection. Good ones to look for. I would assume you are correct about the span of use. There is nothing found by me that would explain it any other way.

Have a great holiday!