Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mo65

That's a great collection of Senators John!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

54bullseye

You have some nice Senators there John !!! Good deal on the last one to !     John Taylor

Benni3

Very nice collection,,,,love the older senators  ;D

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

festus

Found these two rough Penn 209 in a group of other parts reels.  The brown one seems fully functional but has a chip near the clicker.  The black one is in better shape cosmetically other than the worm gear and the bottom of the line guide has some green corrosion. 

So I plan on getting one good reel out of these and keep the other for spare parts.  Of course I need a handle, handle screw and handle nut screw.

Carl L

This is an ebay 190 I purchased. Pre drag/ar dog.. note the clicker.. Is something broken off? I would assume it would be waffle-style. I usually polish them completely, but this one told me not to.. (am I losing it-they're talking to me....)

Gfish

Waffel clickers seem to be on the oldest Penn's. Looks like someone fixed it with something laying around in the shop. How's it work? Very nice picture plate.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Carl L

Gfish.... was sticky when i got it, expected sludge inside but bone dry. Several drops of penn oil and it sings. No corrosion, just dust so I did'nt vinegar it.. the line is dacron? Black braided stuff thats tough... i cant break it. Gotta be over 30lb. Test.. I'm gonna fish it just for fun like this.

George6308

The black braided line is nylon squiding line.

Carl L

Squiding line ??? Hmm... thanks, I've gotta look that up.. I learn something new every day on here.. love this site.

oc1

Probably braided nylon squidding line, but it could also be braided black silk or braided black dacron.  Burn the end of the line with a lighter.  If it forms a solid melted glob is it dacron or nylon.  If it forms an ash that you can pull off with your fingers it is silk.  Nylon squidding line has a lot of stretch.  You can usually feel it stretch by pulling on on the last yard or so.  Dacron has almost no stretch.  Silk would be rotten by now.  Nylon or Dacron could still be OK.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteSquiding line Huh? Hmm... thanks, I've gotta look that up.. I learn something new every day on here.. love this site.

Squidding is an old fashioned term used for "Surf Casting" with metal tins or feathers. Example, the ""Penn Squidder"", world class conventional surf casting reel.

Bill B

Well I won a package deal from an online auction site and part of it was this non-numbered Senator 111 2/0.  When cleaned up the three piece spool is bronze in color and the rings cleaned up really nice, unfortunately the handle locked up solid sometime ago and the original owner kept fishing it eventually loosening the peened section in the handle blade.  Too bad it's non-numbered otherwise I would replace it.  Since it might just sit on the shelf I will leave it alone.  In the package deal was a very clean 85 I might try to see if that fits.  Until then it will join it's other brothers of the same Senator name.  Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Carl L

Well heck, thats cool, why not re-peen it ? That's how penn did it in the first place....

Bill B

Many who are better than me have tried to repair these handles but to no avail.  The best I can do for this old piece would be to completely detach it from the blade and drill and the tap the shaft and add a screw to the backside.  This would be for display purposes only.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!