Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sdlehr

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 12, 2018, 12:03:53 AM
Well I won a package deal from an online auction site and part of it was this non-numbered Senator 111 2/0.  When cleaned up the three piece spool is bronze in color
Bill, that spool has the color of oxidized Nickel silver (German silver). Is there any pitting of the surface? Some of the pre-war Penn Senators have been showing up with those, but I'm not sure I've seen this size yet.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

Did, no pitting at all on the spool.  The inside rings do have chrome loss but the outer rings have no pitting.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Oceanreels

Bill, did you use vinegar & water to clean the spool?
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

1badf350

Odd, I've had brass turn to a pinkish hue when soaked in vinegar. Brasso polish got it back to normal.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Bill B

Yes it was a vinegar soak.  Lots of crud on the spool and let it soak for a couple hours.  Still not happy with the way it turned out.  I have some brass polish I will try on it and see if it improves the appearance.  Bill

Oceanreels

Bill;
  If the arbor was brass when you started and the flanges are nickel silver, the brass leached onto the flanges. You can clean up the flanges with a non- abrasive polish. If you use an abrasive polish it will scratch them.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Bill B

Thats good news.....will polish it up this weekend and post the results.  Thank you for the help brother.  Bill

AC49

Hi All

Need help identifying this reel handle on a Penn 49. It doesn't have any number stamped on it. Is it original or from another reel ?

Thanks
AC49

1badf350

AC i dont believe thats a Penn handle at all
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

broadway

I don't know what reel it came off exactly, but it looks like an Ocean City reel.
Dom

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 13, 2018, 04:27:51 PM
Odd, I've had brass turn to a pinkish hue when soaked in vinegar. Brasso polish got it back to normal.
Not odd at all. The pinkish color is copper that replates on the corroded surface, so these surfaces have microscopic pits that are lined with copper. Polishing just removes that layer and exposes a fresh surface. There's a lot of electrochemistry going on at a corroding surface, this is only part of the story.

And the ORCA folks don't recommend Brasso polish because of how much material it removes. A non-abrasive polish, like Simichrome or Nevr-Dull, is preferred.

Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: broadway on February 15, 2018, 12:21:00 PM
I don't know what reel it came off exactly, but it looks like an Ocean City reel.
Dom
I agree that the grasp appears to be Ocean City-made, but that handle wouldn't have fit without some modification with a file, but that's not hard to do....
Sid Lehr

thorhammer

Looks like OC and probably is, but I've also seen some Japanese Penn knock-offs have a similar handle that fits Penn sleeve.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on February 15, 2018, 01:50:45 PM
Looks like OC and probably is, but I've also seen some Japanese Penn knock-offs have a similar handle that fits Penn sleeve.

Yeah, the Olympic conventional reels. They made some for KMart and Sears.  If I recall correctly, the ones I saw were stainless steel.

AC49

Thanks to all for your kind assistance. Seems the Immec 150D, Olympic Dolphin 615 or Kencor 150D have a very similar handle. Think I will stay clear of this purchase.  :)

Regards
AC49