Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

If its a deal have it. somebody has an old Penn handle around here...

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on February 16, 2018, 04:21:19 PM
If its a deal have it. somebody has an old Penn handle around here...

I think those stainless steel knock-off handles are decent.  If I had one, I'd upgrade the knob and use it, on some other reel.

wailua boy

I just picked up this Silver Beach . The seller had it marked as a 1939. It's my first Silver Beach and by far my oldest Penn and  it was very reasonably priced.

wailua boy

Actually after a bit of research, Im thinking its a 1940. It has the hershey clicker. Can anyone confirm or deny and any other notable facts are appreciated. 

Bill B

It could very well be a '39, as that is the first year the torpedo handle was offered on that model.  I have no information regarding the hershey kiss clicker, hpefully someone else will chime in.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

Well another Coffee Can special just showed up  8).  There's supposed to be two 140 Squidders in this pile  ???.  I have a spool enroute, so at least that part is covered, but the other spool is a Penn Synchronized Spool with the Air Brake fins, and has a chip missing from where the two halves join.  Doesn't look fatal and a little JB Weld may fill the void.  Gonna tear both down and start the rebuild.  One will end up as a beater/loaner, but who knows until after the cleaning is done.....Bill

Penn Chronology

QuoteActually after a bit of research, Im thinking its a 1940. It has the hershey clicker. Can anyone confirm or deny and any other notable facts are appreciated
It falls into a time span rather than to say it is a particular year. I would say it could be anywhere from 1939 to 1942. I know that is a blanket statement; but, there is really no way to get closer without more pieces of the puzzle. Even if you had it in the box, it would still be a guess at its age. From 1939 to 1942 this Model 97 Silver Beach basically stayed unchanged in price and build style. If you found one with the original catalog, you could then date it according to the catalog issue; but, you would be assuming the reel and catalog belong together. I feel the lighter colored handle knobs were used on the later models; but, that is just my opinion. It is still an interesting pre-war Penn reel and being able to date from 1939 to 1942 is still a good historical place. It is a Pre-War reel, without a doubt.

Gfish

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 18, 2018, 12:41:48 AM
Well another Coffee Can special just showed up  8).  There's supposed to be two 140 Squidders in this pile  ???.  I have a spool enroute, so at least that part is covered, but the other spool is a Penn Synchronized Spool with the Air Brake fins, and has a chip missing from where the two halves join.  Doesn't look fatal and a little JB Weld may fill the void.  Gonna tear both down and start the rebuild.  One will end up as a beater/loaner, but who knows until after the cleaning is done.....Bill

Bill, I have a LB 259 spool ana Baymaster180 spool, both plastic and both chipped like yours(only smaller chips). Must be line pressure damage from when they anchored on the line.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Probably a dumb question, but, which war does the term "pre-war Penn" refer to?  ???

Gfish

Quote from: nelz on February 18, 2018, 06:55:19 PM
Probably a dumb question, but, which war does the term "pre-war Penn" refer to?  ???
[/quote

World War 2, 1942 to 1945 for the U.S.A. 'Bout 1938 to 1945 for Europe et. al.
Please correct if inaccurate.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pjstevko

Saw this Oceanside #85 with wooden knob in a antique store for $35.....is it worth it?

Bill B

Looking at Mike's 3rd book you could x2 or x3 your money......Bill

pjstevko

I think I'm going to go try to get that reel so I can get a better look at it since a few people seem to think it's worth the asking price...

Bill B

It was offered from 1934-1937.....  if that helps brother.....bill

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 19, 2018, 05:05:44 AM
It was offered from 1934-1937.....  if that helps brother.....bill

Thanks for the info Bill