Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Beautiful example of the 165, Mo.  Steal of a deal too!
Your bro scored handsomely! ;)
Enjoy,
Dom

festus

Found these three at a bargain, figured if 1 out of 3 worked I'd be happy and salvage the remainder for parts.  Got an 85 Seaboy and two 285 Delmars in the mail this afternoon.  

The Delmar with the green handle knob was seized up, after removing the side plate, saw the reason very quickly.  Crack plastic spool.  Whoever used it last had been running some thick mono on it, at least 50 lb test.  Other than the bad spool everything else inside looks good and it's pretty clean.

The other two reels feel pretty good, especially the 85.  

Nothing really valuable here, these probably didn't cost over 5 or 6 bucks off the shelf when new, but I like the simpler Penns such as the Peerless No 9, the 209, 309, and the 350M.  Rebuilding these non-level wind reels should be much easier.

Bill B

Nothing fatal brother.....good find....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Recently stumbled onto this old low budget common Penn 711

It's been sitting for over 40 years on a backroom shelf at my local tackle shop and the old lube is gummed up so bad it barely turns. Servicing will have to wait until this fall when things slow down a bit for me. Till then its still ok to look at
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Is that the original paint Ted?  If so, it's not so common. 
-steve

nelz

A black 711 looking that good? Wow, not common and quite valuable. Nice find!

Maxed Out

Quote from: oc1 on April 06, 2018, 06:26:53 AM
Is that the original paint Ted?  If so, it's not so common. 
-steve

Hi Steve, it is original factory black on this 711

Ted

oc1

Black, no chips and a medallion.  Maybe closer to 50 years on the shelf.  Really nice.
-steve

Penn Chronology

Smooth finish black, model 711. $250 reel, easy; but, you must know that..................<:O)

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 06, 2018, 10:41:37 PM
Smooth finish black, model 711. $250 reel, easy; but, you must know that..................<:O)

Hello Mike, I'm no spinning reel guy. I tend to distance myself from them, but if someone hands me any Penn reel for FREE I wont turn them down. I've had black 710 hanging from the ceiling at our bar for over 15 years. It's my land of misfit toys storage facility  :D  :D

Benni3

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 06, 2018, 04:22:28 AM
Recently stumbled onto this old low budget common Penn 711

Low budget?...common?...a black 711??? A wise guy eh?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

This is a learning lesson. Always look at ALL the pictures before you jump on a $15 "too good to be true" reel LOL. Seller listed as a Long Beach but with primary pic of Bridge City head plate. I hit buy it now before I bothered reading description or looking at all the pictures. So now I am the proud owner of a Penn "Long City"

I bet it was one of you guys LOL you got me!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Benni3

If you buy on ebay it happens,,,i got a 37 Seahawk- atlantic,,,or something but you can't win everytime  ;D

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis is a learning lesson. Always look at ALL the pictures before you jump on a $15 "too good to be true" reel LOL. Seller listed as a Long Beach but with primary pic of Bridge City head plate. I hit buy it now before I bothered reading description or looking at all the pictures. So now I am the proud owner of a Penn "Long City"

That was fantastic buy. I could probably make a Bridge City and a Long Beach from my parts bin and have two reels for the super low price of one. Great deal!!