Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

There is a "Penn Long Reach" on ebay right now, no telling what treasure is next.  ;D

nelz

Quote from: festus on April 09, 2018, 05:30:23 AM
There is a "Penn Long Reach" on ebay right now, no telling what treasure is next.  ;D

I hear it's a super-far caster!  ;D

festus

Found this assortment of five in the mailbox this afternoon, shipped from The Sunshine State.  4/0 Senator, 209, 145 Squidder, 155 Beachmaster and the 85 Sea Boy. I ordered these mostly for the Beachmaster and Squidder, I've heard they are fairly good casters.  You don't see many Penn conventionals in East TN, maybe a Fathom or Squall, maybe a 209 once in a blue moon, mostly used by catfisherman. Not sure I had ever seen a Senator, Squidder, or Beachmaster "in the flesh" lol, maybe in Panama City or Daytona Beach years ago. I'm really impressed with the Squidder, it has the old brass over chrome spool, so I need to find a lighter one eventually.  The Squidder, Beachmaster, and Senator are in fair shape, they have definitely been fished.  The 209 either hadn't been fished much or well taken care of. The old Sea Boy is the only nasty one but it seems to be fully functional.  Only thing obviously not working is the anti-reverse on the Senator.  The pic doesn't do them justice, they can be cleaned and fished.

I'm accumulating a fair little collection of Penn conventionals.  Also have a Surfmaster 200 and Jigmaster S on the way. Before I joined this group last summer the only Penns I had was an old 79 I used as a teenager and a Long Beach 68 I traded a pocketknife for a few years ago.

thorhammer

Hey Festus,

You are about at the point to get Mike's book on Penn Chronology and history if you keep piling up these halls :) The Squidder ruled the roost for surfcasting for decades after it's inception in the 1930's. The Surfmaster is essentially a bearing model Squidder and shares many parts; it was to get a cheaper alternative to the working man. The Beachmaster is the lower end, non-take-apart model; spools are interchangeable with Baymaster (with stand and bars to fit), and Surfmasters accordingly. Some innards differ. The 145 is a great size and one I've been wanting, having built a few 160's (Beachmaster) and 150's (Surfmaster in that width. There is an "L" spool for it and you will probably find it to be your favorite caster of the bunch with 20-25 mono; you should easily toss over a hundred yards with  a matched stick. Certainly not too much reel not to be fun on cats and stripers up there in Clinch country! I'm a fan of the Louis L'Amour Sackett novels which had a big history in that area. Plus it's next door to me (I'm in NC).  Keep us posted on the clean-up job.

John

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 09, 2018, 08:43:00 PM
Not sure I had ever seen a Senator, Squidder, or Beachmaster "in the flesh".

This sounds so familiar Festus...I have said the same thing a few times. I grew up fishing 209s, 309s, and Longbeaches. They were the only Penns we ever saw in southern Ohio. I almost fell out the first time I held a Senator, it was like a religious experience! John is dead on right about that Squidder 145...right there is a dandy catfishing reel! Even the smallest of the Penns (Levelmatics, Baymaster 180s, Squidder 146 and Surfmaster 150) make great river reels. They are light and easy to tote down through the rocks and rip rap. You can narrow that 155 Beachmaster to either a 160 or 180. Lots of options with that buy...enjoy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

wailua boy

I just picked up this LB65 it's stamped 250yds with wooden handle. It's the first I've seen with this type of handle

broadway

W-Boy,
   Long Beach 60 is 250 yd. Long Beach 65 is 300yd.
Chris,
   Nice buy on that "Long City" ...easy fix and what a beauty you will have.  The handle is worth more than $15 alone.
Dom

wailua boy

Thank you for reply Dom and here's the pics. She's not real pretty and looking more like a boat anchor but hopefully can restore or salvage parts. The handle looks black in pic but is definitely wood.

Benni3

Got this Delmar? Around what year made,,Hershey clicker,,,no part numbers

festus

Quote from: thorhammer on April 09, 2018, 09:03:43 PM
Hey Festus,

You are about at the point to get Mike's book on Penn Chronology and history if you keep piling up these halls :)
I've been curious about that book, saw online that is out of stock right now but definietly interested.

Quote from: thorhammer on April 09, 2018, 09:03:43 PM
Certainly not too much reel not to be fun on cats and stripers up there in Clinch country! I'm a fan of the Louis L'Amour Sackett novels which had a big history in that area. Plus it's next door to me (I'm in NC).  Keep us posted on the clean-up job.
BTW, unless I'm fishing ponds, 90% of my fishing is either the Clinch River or its tributaries, Emory River, Little Emory River, and Poplar Creek.  The Clinch River is full of big stripers, cats, and muskies.  A 30-40 lb striper doesn't even arouse curiousity after that 60+ pounder was caught over at Bull Run Steam Plant.  Plenty of 50" muskes in the same area.  Been gobs of 70 and 80 lb blues and flatheads caught out of the Emory.   

Got this Jigmaster S in the mail today. Looks good, is smooth, but it's got one of them durn chrome over brass spools. Also cleaned up  the Beachmaster and Squidder yesterday.  They"re in the back of the pic

Gfish

Am I mistaken Wailuaboy on your new acquisition, or does the head-plate say "65"? Easy to see the tailplate is a "60". The width does look "60 size". I personally like the narrower 60 size for strength purposes.

Festus, the 500s did have a red aluminium spool. I think it mighta been a 50 yr. anniversary edition(1983?). Might be hard to get one...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Got this old rough 200 Surfmaster in mail today. I was taking it apart, heard someone coming up the driveway.  Some man was lost, looking for a residence to buy a refrigerator.  When I got up the spool rolled into the floor.  Thought nothing about it.  After I got back to what I was doing noticed when the spool fell, two chips were knocked out.  Plastic of course.   >:(

Decker

Quote from: festus on April 12, 2018, 06:58:56 PM
Got this old rough 200 Surfmaster in mail today. I was taking it apart, heard someone coming up the driveway.  Some man was lost, looking for a residence to buy a refrigerator.  When I got up the spool rolled into the floor.  Thought nothing about it.  After I got back to what I was doing noticed when the spool fell, two chips were knocked out.  Plastic of course.   >:(

Yeah, those bake-lite spools are in the most danger when out of the reel.  I might have one to give if you want to replace with the same. There is also a stainless model and an aluminum one, in addition to the chromed brass.

festus

Thanks Decker, I might take  you up on that.  I checked Scott at mysticparts and their aluminum spools $35.85 plus shipping.  I could buy 4 or 5 of these reels for that much.  ::) Gimme some time to look around for a budget aluminum spool somewhere else or a donor reel which has one.

The only malfunction with this reel was the anti-reverse wasn't working.  After I tore it down there was no flat dog spring.  I should have some of those.

Decker

Best bet for getting a 29L-200 (aluminum) spool is to find one on a reel.  I don't see many loose ones around.  I Just bought a 155 Beachmaster with that spool for less than the cost of a used spool.  I may be putting the spool on a Penn 350  :)