Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

1badf350

Thanks Mo! The plates are definitely not faded, they have some sort of swirling going on in them. Now a coin imbedded would be interesting and awesome
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

George6308

A question that must be asked: Are these reels with the mixed colored parts lunch box specials made up of rejected parts?

Penn Chronology

QuoteAre these reels with the mixed colored parts lunch box specials made up of rejected parts?

No. There are special order mixed color part reels; but, I have never heard of one made in the factory from rejected parts. Rejected parts get thrown away.

Gfish

A Jigmaster 500M, possibly mid-'60's. Should get me one more JM closer to a complete Jigmaster collection. This'n had the box and manual and I believe they probably all go together. Note the manual's "suggested" retail price for the M(non-plastic spool model): $17.95, and the bottom of the box is marked $19.95-?

Coolest thing for me is the nostalgia factor of seeing a good old fashioned "GUARANTEE"! on page 1(the reel above that is a picture of a 309M, not my 500M)Ah, the good old days...

Penn did a great job with their manuals, combining advertising for other reel models, up-grade parts, maintenance, repair, explaination of function, parts lists, etc.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Nice Jigmaster, looks like it's been well taken care of.

Gfish

Cool! Steel main gear. Chromed bridge, eccentric, and eccentric jack. Standard leather drag washers.
Yeah, festus, nothin on this one is worn too much. No gouges in the bakelite, no major scratchs in the chrome. Some minor pitting on the posts and then it looks like some major patina on the spool below the mono. Gonna keep it stock. Very smooth operatin 50+ yr. old Jiggy.

What's a best grease or oil for leather drag washers?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on May 22, 2018, 04:48:30 AM
What's a best grease or oil for leather drag washers?
I haven't tried it but several guys have commented that neatsfoot oil works great. I'd say it prolly does being it's a conditioning agent for leather.

I picked up another Silver Beach 99...I couldn't pass it up...these are such cool reels! This first pic is "just as I found it". Note that it has the plain tailplate.

A former owner installed Newell bars and a #24-66 handle. I'm going to leave this reel "just as I found it", except for a little cleaning up.

These bars were very scratched...a little paint should help out.

This is the first time I've seen brake lining drags in a #5-60 gear! They're staying...just because.

Here she is all dolled up, I really like the plain tailplate.

These old skool hot rods are the whip. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

-Chris

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Nice reel Mo

Looks like the polished stainless spool. Those ain't easy to find and they are very solid lightweight spool. Very short lived production run makes me guess they were cost prohibitive and Penn made changes to stay competitive
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wailua boy

I just got few jigs and a 113HLW in and cant wait to get them wet. Have a good weekend and tight lines.

Fishy247

Here's a 99 that I found on fleabay...a bit beat up, but hopefully it'll clean up nicely. I started taking it apart and noticed that there weren't any numbers on anything other than the foot...any ideas on how old this is?
Thanks,
Mike

Fishy247

More pics...

wailua boy

I would say a very early 40's era but hopefully someone can add some more info for you.