Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Penn Chronology

QuoteScored this 9/0 on our local Trademe auction site - just gave it a quick clean and lube but no box or paper work can anyone give me a rough idea on what year it was made ? - all parts are numbered has steel main and pinion 3 stack asbestos drag washers .

Going by the handle, asbestos drags and the one piece spool, I would guess 1956.

1badf350

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 24, 2017, 03:47:05 AM
QuoteWell I know this is going to get trampled by the "Model F controversy" but it's a pre part number 12/0 I bought of ebay a couple months ago and I just cleaned it up yesterday. I am not great a dating Penn reels like most of the rest of you but I am thinking 1940 or so ?

Happy Thanksgivings John. My humble opinion on this reel is that it is a late 1940's post-war reel because of the obvious fact that it is a second generation reel and that the spool is pinned and not drilled. I would think pre-war reels had drilled spools and the info is still controversial on whether the second gen build style for the Model 116 exists in a pre-war time zone for production reels. Maybe someone can document that (I just found a 12/0 second gen picture from 1941). The catalogs say it ain't so...........
So to go back to the beautiful 12/0 John Taylor posted on page 45 of thos thread, there was some discussion of whether second gen 12/0 existed with a first gen build style (drilled spool). I found one. Pics forthcoming.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

nelz

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 16, 2018, 02:25:14 PMGoing by the handle, asbestos drags and the one piece spool, I would guess 1956.

Is that a stainless spool?

Super-nice condition reel!

1badf350

Two more. It is in the second gen build style, first gen logo, knurled counterweight handle with (as Dom would put it) large areola oil port,, drilled spool arbor

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

54bullseye

Boy what a beauty Chris she is shinning !!!!   John Taylor

mo65

Quote from: 54bullseye on July 16, 2018, 09:31:09 PM
Boy what a beauty Chris she is shinning !!!!   

I have to agree! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Stunning 12/0 Chris.....it has all the traits of the earliest gen2 senators. I have exact same.e 12/0 as yours, but it was used for over 40 years by original owner and shows it, but I still love it

I think your early gen2 12/0 would be front row in any reel collection....nice score  !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

-Chris

broadway

Beauty of a reel, Chris... they do exist, but few in that condition I would think
Enjoy her,
Dom

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Benni3

1badf350

Thanks guys! So is the consensus now that second gen 12/0 existed pre war? What year would you say this one is? 1941-ish? If so, is it safe to say very few of these are out there?
-Chris

Maxed Out

Hard to say Chris, but pre war Penn factory was going full bore and increasing production every year until late 1941.

It's my belief that gen2 started in 1941 and many of those reels will have 1st gen components.....like lugs, counterbalance, and drilled arbor spool. It is popular consensus that most if not all drilled arbor Penns are pre war. Coin edge cb is also a sign of a pre war penn
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!