Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Benni3

That's a very cool looking set of reels ;D great job

Penn Chronology

THAT WIDE 4/0 IS AWESOME. GREAT FIND :o :o :o

Benni3

Fact or fiction  ???

Swami805

Nice one Benni, You going to fish it? Knuckle buster cat fishing!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

Quote from: Swami805 on August 03, 2018, 02:30:12 AM
Nice one Benni, You going to fish it? Knuckle buster cat fishing!
with a pfueger patch,,,I could hear my dad now  your now bringing that on my boat  :D

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Alto Mare

I agree, cool knob! maybe I'll try making one a little larger, when I get a chance.

You're getting some cool stuff Benni ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Thanks guys,,,didn't know if that was the right handle for that reel or about what year it was,,,,but it's in very good shape  ;D

mo65

Quote from: Benni3 on August 03, 2018, 02:17:24 PM
Thanks guys,,,didn't know if that was the right handle for that reel or about what year it was,,,,but it's in very good shape  ;D

I believe that 249 came out in '39...and the first ones did have that style knob. This was a much used practice by Penn in the early days...bring out the latest and greatest designs on the high end reels while moving the previous designs to the budget models.

Quote from: 1badf350 on August 03, 2018, 10:08:09 AM
Love that handle!

Me too! That's the awesome 1938 knob...I have one on this old Long Beach. It's actually a very comfortable knob, but the masses obviously loved the torpedo knob, because when it appeared in 1939 that '38 knob faded into history. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

Thanks mo,,,that long beach is getting hard to get ;D

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks guys,,,didn't know if that was the right handle for that reel or about what year it was,,,,but it's in very good shape  Grin

That handle was used from 1949 to 1955. The style of the counter weight is the tell. It is the correct handle for a Model 249; but, not a 149 or 49.

Benni3

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 04, 2018, 05:58:48 AM
QuoteThanks guys,,,didn't know if that was the right handle for that reel or about what year it was,,,,but it's in very good shape  Grin

That handle was used from 1949 to 1955. The style of the counter weight is the tell. It is the correct handle for a Model 249; but, not a 149 or 49.
thank you for your help,,,, :D

1badf350

This early model 49 was a $30 antique store find yesterday. Antique stores around here usually have junk for fishing gear, so this was a nice surprise.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Benni3

Nice save,,,antique stores sometimes makes nautical themes out of them  :D that's a nice looking reel ;D

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis early model 49 was a $30 antique store find yesterday. Antique stores around here usually have junk for fishing gear, so this was a nice surprise.

:o :o :o Wow, beautiful reel!!