Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Benni3

? Mono no2,,,,?

Penn Chronology

Quote? Mono no2,,,,?

One of those A B Normal reels............. :)

Benni3

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 10, 2018, 12:25:07 AM
Quote? Mono no2,,,,?

One of those A B Normal reels............. :)
I didn't really believe it was a misprint until I looked at it :) but black spool and side plate  ??? and the patina looks the same

Maxed Out

Black tail plate, maroon mid 60's headplate, mid 40's handle.....yep it's from the land of misfit toys  ;)  ;)

What I see is a possible 1940's 155 that had broken head plate and a 1960's monofil plate was used to replace it

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Benni3

1badf350

Here's an early cutaway Delmar 285....courtesy of the USPS 😡
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

broadway

I almost went for that one, too.  It was in spectacular shape... that's a shame, but still some nice shiny, tough to find parts ya got there.
Dom

Bill B

That's a shame Chris.  On the bright side at least it wasn't a Model K......and not meaning to steal your thunder.....As many know we are buying a house and the wife put me on Reel Restrictions  :-\, saying I cannot buy anything until we get into the house.  God bless the little lady  :D, she came home last night with a handful of old rods and a couple reels she picked up in the Lake Arrowhead area, very close to where we are buying..said she paid $20 bucks for the bundle  :o...in the bundle is this non-numbered Peer 109, and a J.C. Higgans split bamboo rod.  I will post the other reel in a separate post as there are no markings what so ever.

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Bill, that 109 is an absolute home run !!

Chris, the smushed Delmar is. 1st year model and still has many good parts to be able to make it correct again. Sideplates can be found at a very fair price. USPS can't prevent breakage when an item isn't property packaged.IMHO
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Bill, that JC Higgins hex-split bamboo looks just like a couple of Montagues me and my son have. The company made alot of 'em, so maybe they did the trade thing too (as in trade reels).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

That would be cool if it was a Montague....I will have to scrounge through my recycled guides to replace the missing guide.  It would be fun to fish the old bamboo before making a wall hanger.  I packed all my Penn books so cannot get a closer date on the 109.  I'm thinking it's too clean to fish, as this one spent its life fishing fresh water all it life.   Also in that bundle was a home made rod made from a willow (?) branch.  A little crooked but well made.  It would make a fun bluegill rod.  Might have to rehab that one too. Bill

EDIT:  A little research shows Montague did make rods for Sears in the JC Higgins name.  A litttle more revealed photos of Montague with the same wooden handles......so I am thinking you are right it was probably made by Montague......I'm liking this rod more and more.....

EDIT: my wife went back and found the original box for the 109...  I packed my Penn Chrono books so I can't look it up, if anyone has a book handy can you tell me what years were the 109 $11.00?  Thanks my brothers
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Cuttyhunker

Scored a bunch of goodies today on a CL add including a 209 and box that looks brand new, and a 111 2/0 Senator.  Was after the Internationals but there is also a 14/0 on a Penn rod, not a virgin some corrosion but functions fine that will be going up for sale if anyone is interested.  Will post more pics later
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on August 12, 2018, 04:28:49 PM
That would be cool if it was a Montague....I will have to scrounge through my recycled guides to replace the missing guide.  It would be fun to fish the old bamboo before making a wall hanger.  I packed all my Penn books so cannot get a closer date on the 109.  I'm thinking it's too clean to fish, as this one spent its life fishing fresh water all it life.   Also in that bundle was a home made rod made from a willow (?) branch.  A little crooked but well made.  It would make a fun bluegill rod.  Might have to rehab that one too. Bill

EDIT:  A little research shows Montague did make rods for Sears in the JC Higgins name.  A litttle more revealed photos of Montague with the same wooden handles......so I am thinking you are right it was probably made by Montague......I'm liking this rod more and more.....

EDIT: my wife went back and found the original box for the 109...  I packed my Penn Chrono books so I can't look it up, if anyone has a book handy can you tell me what years were the 109 $11.00?  Thanks my brothers

Yeah. The kid and I took three bottom fish trips this Summer. The 2nd n' 3rd trips we winched up some big Lingers n' Rockies. I really like mine for that kina fishin. Gonna give the youngster my Penn 350 though, as he can't seem to get useta no levelwinder usin a L.B. 60. "Son I have 2 words for you:'line management' ", me as I 'm clearin the loose wrap birds nest on the way back. I got smart though, and shelfed 70+ yr. old L.B. 65 Deluxe, when I noticed the gear sleeve beginnin to collapse. I'll be usin the 60.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Here's the 2/0 from the lot I picked up yesterday, wrong handle, functions fine but it sure needs a bath and some love.
Doomed from childhood