Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Everybody with some nice scores!

Bill if you want to fish a 109, and I don't, I think I have one in parts you are welcome to when you get your shop unpacked. I know you wont see this for a few days, no hurry or worry.

I hate it when I see craigslist ads like that....I get all twitchy! That's a nice 2/0, and the handle may worth at least half what the reel is, though yes not original.

Decker

What is the purpose of those double-guides, with the loop tip?  

UPDATE: Found another thread that explains it:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15315.0

54bullseye

So when the old wood rods start to take a set you can flip them over and fish them the other way.  I think   Lol !!!!   John Taylor

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo when the old wood rods start to take a set you can flip them over and fish them the other way.  I think   Lol !!!!   John Taylor

That would be correct. Or, if you flip them regularly, they will never take a set.

steelfish

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 30, 2018, 06:05:52 AM
QuoteSo when the old wood rods start to take a set you can flip them over and fish them the other way.  I think   Lol !!!!   John Taylor

That would be correct. Or, if you flip them regularly, they will never take a set.

clever !!
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Brand new, no box, $23 delivered to my door. What a cool little reel, maybe use it for bait fishing or sit it on a shelf...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

23 bucks is a great buy on that reel...the spool alone is worth more. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mo65 on October 01, 2018, 10:13:11 PM
   23 bucks is a great buy on that reel...the spool alone is worth more. 8)
That's good to hear, Mo, thanks!

Maxed Out

Cool little reels, and for that price I'll take 10 please.........and also like the newell style click button.

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Darin Crofton

Found a good home for it, going to send it to Lee who's been working on the Seaboys lately, I know he'll appreciate it more than I.

Cuttyhunker

Came across this pre war Penn 49, no number, coin edge counterweight in pretty good shape, smooth free spool but very tight cranking, looks like the bridge is gettin a WD 40 bath.  Torpedo is smooth turning probably hasn't been used since FDR was in the White House.  The clamp is the older one hole and a slot, have another one on a no numbers squidder.  When did Penn go to the 2 hole clamp? Are the clamps in any way a reliable dating tool?
Thank You 
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

Thru all my years of buying and selling older Penns, my best guesstimate is the slotted clamp was phased out in 1953/54. Your 49 is definitely pre war IMO

Ted

Cuttyhunker

Thanks Ted,
It's going in the case after a bath, not for sale, but what would you estimate as a rough value? Only fault right now seems to be a tight, but moving bridge sleeve.  No box etc.  As for the slotted clamps I do have 4 old Surfmasters with numbers from dad, best guess mid 50's no slots.
Thanks Again,
Bob

PS Mike C's value book is on the way here
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

The 49 was very popular and mass produced from the get go and for that reason alone it will always remain as an "affordable" but also collectable reel

I'd say $35-50 depending on condition

Cuttyhunker

I've been picking up 49's to fish my boat retro on the stripers and blues, have the old rod's from the 60's and 70's.  This last of the 49's that came in looks pre war too but there is no coin edge on the counterweight, just smooth.  From what I've been learning if the vendor messed this up, Penn would have just probably put the reels out as there is no effect on the function.  Mike says never say never about Penn so is anyone smart about this? Custom made, vendor FUBAR, Another dating tool?  No numbers, 4 boat tail, and twisted linen on the spool.
Thanks
Doomed from childhood