Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteI've been picking up 49's to fish my boat retro on the stripers and blues, have the old rod's from the 60's and 70's.  This last of the 49's that came in looks pre war too but there is no coin edge on the counterweight, just smooth.  From what I've been learning if the vendor messed this up, Penn would have just probably put the reels out as there is no effect on the function.  Mike says never say never about Penn so is anyone smart about this? Custom made, vendor FUBAR, Another dating tool?  No numbers, 4 boat tail, and twisted linen on the spool.

The one piece, plain counter weight I find to be late 1940's. it was the transition from the coin edged version to the laminated type. IMHO...

Cuttyhunker

Thank's Mike,
It'll be getting HT100's one on top of the bridge and three in the stack to get back out there.  An interesting little variation.
Bob
Doomed from childhood

1badf350

Im going out on a limb and assuming this was a good deal at $30 shipped?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

You did ok.....I would've paid $40 and $40 shipping  ;)  ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Decker

Put that green reel in your safe deposit!

I got this 180 Baymaster on a Montague rod base at a great price. The 180 has become a favorite of mine for jetty and pier fishing.  Simple, light, and can take all the Surfmaster 100 upgrades. The rod was a cherry on top. Don't know much about older rods, but I have seen this butt section on bamboo rods. I'm no collector, and wonder if this could be put to use.  The craftsmanship is beautiful. The reel seat is a bronze-colored metal.

The ferrule opening is about 3/8 inch.  Could a rod be built using this as a base?  I'd like it as a shallow bottom fishing rod for fluke, blackfish, etc. 

Bill B

Chris, good buy on that green 109.  Almost too good to fish....almost  ;)

Decker, really like that rod.  I'm sure a rod could be built for the handle.  How deep is the ferrule go into the handle?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

I really like the old Montague hardwood rod handles. Supposed to be alot of Montagues out there, so you'll probably find something that fits. Carefull of that metal on those old Montagues, it can tear pretty easily.

I gotta a 180("s") witha plastic spool that I's gonna donate if yer interested, yours for shipping cost or trade value.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Bill. The ferrule depth is shallow, 1 3/8 inches.

Gregg, I could probably put the 180 to good use; will PM you.  Thanks!

Any idea what the reel seat metal is?

Penn Chronology

QuoteDon't know much about older rods, but I have seen this butt section on bamboo rods. I'm no collector, and wonder if this could be put to use.  The craftsmanship is beautiful. The reel seat is a bronze-colored metal.

The reel seat might be German Silver. That handle looks like a surf handle. The ferrule is a common design from the 1920's and 30's. Back then rod tips were classified by weight categories. Early IGFA records were set by a particular sized fish caught on a rod tip of a certain weight. Finding the correct split cane tip for that handle would be a challenge. The tip should have a metal ferrule that would fit into the handle.

oc1

Joe, I bet that if you ran a 5/16 inch drill bit up into that ferrule you would find the broken remains of a split bamboo blank.  It should be about three inches deep.  I do not believe there is a metal bottom on the ferrule but it will be obvious when the drill bit hits the solid oak handle.

Your handle looks longer than mine so the blank was probably longer too.  I'm guessing mine was probably 5-1/2 to 7 feet with a #10 or #12 tip.  Probably red agatine inserts in the guides.  

You may be able to find a junk split bamboo rod with a section of blank that could work.  I wouldn't rule out a fly rod if it has a center section with the right specs.  Sometimes there are new Chinese-made split bamboo blanks at the auction.  

You could also drill out the ferrule and enlarge the hole to about 1/2 or 9/16 inch.  There is room in the oak foregrip and it would still be plenty strong enough.  With a 1/2 inch butt you could use a tubular fiberglass blank.  A 1950's tobacco rod blank would look good.  Another option would be a solid glass rod blank as some of them have 3/8 inch butts.  You could look for a 3/8ths male ferrule or just glue the blank in there.  They would be equally strong.

The reel seat and ferrule is nickel (German silver) plated brass.

The thing that amazes me about your handle and mine is the mushroom butt cap.  They have to be vulcanized rubber but the mushroom butt caps from even twenty or thirty years later have all cracked and fallen off.

-steve

Decker

Steve and Mike, thanks for the great info and insight.   I haven't had time to check, but the broken section theory sounds probable.  I wonder if it could be pulled out by screwing into what is left, and pulling it out.  Good to know that the handle is oak.  I'll keep an eye peeled for something to fit it.

Steve, I remember you remarking about the butt caps in other posts.  Now that I see one, I understand your interest.  Mine is in great shape.  Makes me wonder about the history of rubber.

1badf350

Now I know its a spinner but she is clean!!! Arrived today

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

grekim

EDW VOM HOFE & CO.  Assembled this is about 82".  My parents bought it along with a Mitchell 300 and a 402 at an estate sale at least 15 years ago.  Is this meant for fresh or saltwater?  What kind of reel and line would have been used?  Thanks.
Educating fish on every trip

wfjord

Quote from: 1badf350 on October 22, 2018, 10:27:02 PM
Now I know its a spinner but she is clean!!! Arrived today

That's nice!  I like those green things.