Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tightlines667

That EVH rod is pretty cool. 

I assume the rod was made for saltwater use.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

grekim

Sorry....I meant to post my EVH reply to the Collectible Big Game Fishing Rod thread.  So feel free to move it there if more appropriate.  There are some similar looking rods here too so I got distracted.  Thanks :)
Educating fish on every trip

Maxed Out

Wow Chris, that's one highly sought after reel.....and the round knob makes it much more sought after. Another museum piece for your display !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Benni3

oc1

Nice reel Chris.  Nice rod grekim.

I love those rattan handles.  Reel seat is nickel alloy (German silver) plated brass.  Blank is split bamboo.  It definitely pre-dates the Mitchells.  But, EVH made split bamboo rods from 1880's to 1940's and it would take an expert to match up characteristics with examples of a known date.  The tip guide suggests turn of the century to 1930's to me.

The No.6 handle may indicate it is a 102 tarpon and tuna rod.  Look at Sid's catalog page here:
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=21371

I'm a little hesitant to say tarpon/tuna rod because the reel seat does not look substantial enough in the photos.  Maybe it is heavier than I imagine.  Knowing the tip diameter and the type of guides would help too.  

Edward would not want you to use anything other than one of his fine conventional reels.  He was famous for his tarpon equipment.  If it is a tarpon/tuna type rod then perhaps his model 481 Pasque tarpon reel or something else about 4/0 to 6/0 size would be appropriate.  This could become expensive so don't get carried away  :)

This other thread has some info and more links that may be interesting:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14650.0

-steve

1badf350

Thanks guys!!
I had no idea that they were that rare
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

grekim

Quote from: oc1 on October 23, 2018, 07:37:19 AM
Nice reel Chris.  Nice rod grekim.

I love those rattan handles.  Reel seat is nickel alloy (German silver) plated brass.  Blank is split bamboo.  It definitely pre-dates the Mitchells.  But, EVH made split bamboo rods from 1880's to 1940's and it would take an expert to match up characteristics with examples of a known date.  The tip guide suggests turn of the century to 1930's to me.

The No.6 handle may indicate it is a 102 tarpon and tuna rod.  Look at Sid's catalog page here:
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=21371

I'm a little hesitant to say tarpon/tuna rod because the reel seat does not look substantial enough in the photos.  Maybe it is heavier than I imagine.  Knowing the tip diameter and the type of guides would help too.  

Edward would not want you to use anything other than one of his fine conventional reels.  He was famous for his tarpon equipment.  If it is a tarpon/tuna type rod then perhaps his model 481 Pasque tarpon reel or something else about 4/0 to 6/0 size would be appropriate.  This could become expensive so don't get carried away  :)

This other thread has some info and more links that may be interesting:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14650.0

-steve

Great info Steve!  Much appreciated.  The butt is 20".  Tip is 5/8" outer diam, 1/4" inner diam.  There are only two double guides.  One pair shown below.  I have to wonder if someone got to the sale before my parents and bought an EVH reel, knowing that it was worth far more than the rod or Mitchells. 

oc1

Yeah, that's the dilemma.  The EVH rod belongs with an EVH reel.  But, EVH reels cost a mint.  Rods, not so much.  I assume you do not plan to fish with it and want a wall-hanger.  

An option would be to sell or the EVH rod.  You should get enough to buy a rod/reel combo wall hanger with similar aesthetic appeal but of a lesser brand.  As an ornament, an old Montague combo will look pretty much like an old EVH combo to the uneducated masses, but at a fraction of the cost.

-steve

grekim

Quote from: oc1 on October 23, 2018, 09:14:31 PM
Yeah, that's the dilemma.  The EVH rod belongs with an EVH reel.  But, EVH reels cost a mint.  Rods, not so much.  I assume you do not plan to fish with it and want a wall-hanger.  

An option would be to sell or the EVH rod.  You should get enough to buy a rod/reel combo wall hanger with similar aesthetic appeal but of a lesser brand.  As an ornament, an old Montague combo will look pretty much like an old EVH combo to the uneducated masses, but at a fraction of the cost.

-steve

If I didn't think I would cause it harm, I would be curious to fish with it.  But, I am a shore bound fisherman, so a tuna rod is not a great match for me.  I will keep it, for sure, and thanks for the suggestion of the Montague.

1badf350

Getting this thread back on track. I got another of these today. It has some minor pitting on the spool. Other than that its pretty!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

54bullseye

You must have Penn tattoos on you somewhere !!  Lol !!   JT

Benni3

mo65

I really dig the black 114H...great buy Chris! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

1badf350

-Chris