Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Maxed Out

Hi Mike, thanks for the great info.

.....just an observation.....the illustration shows a screw in spool shaft bushing, but Chris's reel has built in bushing.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteHi Mike, thanks for the great info.

.....just an observation.....the illustration shows a screw in spool shaft bushing, but Chris's reel has built in bushing.

Ted

Hello Ted,

Yes, that is why I feel the reel is special. It is a small size 150 yard side plate with the Penn 14 spool bushing. I cannot explain why it is that way, but, it is. I have seen other small Newport models and they do not have the integral molded in Penn 14 bushing.  It probably did not sell to well being the Model 14 was cheaper, had a larger line capacity and basically was the same reel. The Model 14 has three pillars while the smaller Newport reel had four pillars. Offering both reels did not make sense in my opinion.

Maxed Out

Any pre war small yardage (less than 250yds) Penn is a great find. They always seem to elude me, but I keep looking !!

Ted

Benni3

209 came in the mail today :D the spool looks different,,,,but I think the green one will clean up ;D

1badf350

Nice Benni! The cool thing is you could almost mint it out with new parts and still be correct.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Benni3

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 17, 2018, 06:22:30 PM
Nice Benni! The cool thing is you could almost mint it out with new parts and still be correct.
yes sir,,,,,,and this 209 looks freshwater or lightly used,,,,but I might get a aluminum frame and spool "green" ;D

Penn Chronology

QuoteAny pre war small yardage (less than 250yds) Penn is a great find. They always seem to elude me, but I keep looking !!

Ted

Many sellers do not realize their smaller than the average Penn reel is a small reel. They are not aware of the size difference and how it affects the rarity of the reel.

There is a visual trick that might help you spot one. When the free spool lever on a small side plate Penn reel is pulled to the rear of the reel it completely covers the side plate screw. That does not happen on a 250 or 300 yard reel.

Maxed Out

... 49 X 5  ;D ;D

Penn Chronology

Quote49 X 5  Grin Grin

Looks like math............ 49 X 5 = 245................ Have a great Thanksgiving...........<:O)

nelz

How about this one for a small Penn?  ;D  A nice flea-find.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

sdlehr

Nelz, that looks like it was lined and put on a shelf and never used. Good find!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

nelz

Quote from: sdlehr on November 21, 2018, 10:25:32 PM
Nelz, that looks like it was lined and put on a shelf and never used. Good find!

Thanks guys. Actually, I put the line on myself. Took it on a little trip to Alabama and caught the cat you see in my avatar.

Benni3

This came in today,,,bridge city 300yd $34 ;D

1badf350

-Chris