Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 25, 2018, 09:43:37 PM
Wow Darin, she already looks pretty modified!
true, but I def want to add a ss sleeve, double dogs and an insert drag kit, maybe a different arm/knob down the road, will fish with it first and see how it goes...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Rivverrat

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 24, 2018, 10:33:34 AM
The rods are junk. My main focus was the reel model number 201

They may not be junk to Steve. His eye has reveled many things here... Jeff

Donnyboat

Nice Darin, thanks for showing us, really will be great when you finnish the updates, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 25, 2018, 11:36:27 PM
Quote from: 1badf350 on November 24, 2018, 10:33:34 AM
The rods are junk. My main focus was the reel model number 201

They may not be junk to Steve. His eye has reveled many things here... Jeff
yes,,,,,I do like old tomato posts sometimes,,,,,,there fun ;D

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 26, 2018, 12:04:52 AM
Nice Darin, thanks for showing us, really will be great when you finnish the updates, cheers Don.
Thank you, Don!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

1badf350

This one arrived today. Don't know much about the black 710s but this little bit of research i did suggested I buy it in this condition
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Penn Chronology

QuoteDon't know much about the black 710s but this little bit of research i did suggested I buy it in this condition

Great collectible! Their production is very limited. These reels were painted by hand, they were not painted with the Penn production spray equipment. Because of that, there are variations in the paint finishes, some are flat satin finishes like yours and others are wrinkled finishes. Either is good to have. Now that you have got the 710 in black, you next acquisition must be the 711 in black......<:O)

1badf350

Wow Mike thank you for that info I did not know they were hand painted, I always figured they were powder coated.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Penn Chronology

QuoteWow Mike thank you for that info I did not know they were hand painted, I always figured they were powder coated.

They were spray painted with enamel; but, not with the production spray equipment. According to Mr. Herbert Henze, changing the color on the factory spray equipment meant a lot of work, so these black 710's were done separately from the production line, probably with a small spray gun that could be easily cleaned.

As for Powder Coating, the Model 710 was introduced in 1964, I believe the black versions were very early release reels. Powder Coating had not been invented yet. 

1badf350

This one arrived today. I actually thought I would never find one.
-Chris

54bullseye

Sweet !!!! Your gonna have to write another book on Penn !!!!    John Taylor

JoseCuervo

What are the main differences within the Mariner series? I have a 49 and a 149. I know the drags aren't the same  ::) and the 49 has a reverse lever (might not be the right term), and the A is that African one I think. What is the story on the 349? Are they all red? Maybe it is a wide reel?

Sorry for the newbie questions. This week I am neck deep in Long Beach's, I blame you guys for my Penndemic fever.

Thanks

Rob

Benni3

Quote from: JoseCuervo on December 22, 2018, 02:17:26 AM
What are the main differences within the Mariner series? I have a 49 and a 149. I know the drags aren't the same  ::) and the 49 has a reverse lever (might not be the right term), and the A is that African one I think. What is the story on the 349? Are they all red? Maybe it is a wide reel?

Sorry for the newbie questions. This week I am neck deep in Long Beach's, I blame you guys for my Penndemic fever.

Thanks

Rob
you can't blame anybody,,,, :D I started before I was a member here,,,, ;) just keep going down the rabbit hole,,,you be just fine ;D

Swami805

The size is the same for 49,149,249,349,the difference is internally. The 349 is a more powerful reel. There's a bunch of threads on here about them,makes for some good reading when you have some time. Apologies if this gets you farther down the rabbit hole,I'm betting you'll want one.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

Quote from: Benni3 on December 22, 2018, 03:10:40 AM
just keep going down the rabbit hole,,,you be just fine ;D

well, it's ok to step back once in a while.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!