Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

If you need any parts Chris, lemme know. I have a Sailfisher sans tail-plate (ring is there though) and handle. Hmmm, gonna have to remove that strange flat-sided line and see what kinda spool it has...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Penn Chronology

Most pre-war Senators used German Silver as their base metal. If you remove the chrome and polish them, very antique looks happens to your Penn. Your Penn may take on the identity of a Cozzone Squidder instead of a Penn Squidder.

steelfish

well, since it says, just as you find them here it goes...

this baby monsta needs some work but totally doable and worth it

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Alex, expect to see some follow up on your progress with this one... Jeff

Bill B

That hole where the bearing used to be looks pretty big...is it fatal?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on January 17, 2019, 02:22:15 AM
That hole where the bearing used to be looks pretty big...is it fatal?  Bill

yep. it needs a new handle side plate

wondering what caused that kind of damage, hopefully the spool is not bent or it will be an expesive project  :-\
but I first need the handle side plate to check that spool
The Baja Guy

oc1

Quote from: steelfish on January 17, 2019, 02:25:29 AM
hopefully the spool is not bent or it will be an expesive project  :-\
but I first need the handle side plate to check that spool
Sometimes you can see wobble by rolling the spool on a table.
-steve

milne

Just as You find them !
I have a stable of 5-6 senators,  all 4/0 and 6/0's which are my go to reels.
But have picked up this 4/0 black sided LH reel.
Looks as though the line has been on for decades, reel has been covered in a sticky gunk all over,
There's quite a bit of Green and corrosion everywhere, but a nice wee project.
I luv Senators, some of your guy's photo's have had me drawling !
SO, I also managed to secure my first 1st generation 12/0, in pretty nice condition, will post a photo when it arrives,
But for now, the here's a pic of the 4/0 LH reel.

Col

Darin Crofton

Col, love the LH reel man, great find!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

milne

Thanks Darin,
                    There's a fair bit of corrosion on this one, the photo doesn't really show it, So I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with it
  till I see how it cleans up. I have no Idea of the age, I wont fish with it, so I'll probably shelve this one. Is it like the pre war vintage ones,
as far as, leave it alone how it comes out after a clean ?.  It's got part numbers so it's post 50's, so would parts be available or interchangeable so I have the option of prettying it up ?, or just clean and shelve ?

Col

1badf350

Col,
I can't wait to see pictures of your new first generation 12/0! I'm glad you didn't hesitate on it!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

This super minty 40's era 10/0 arrived today I'm happy with it, she's very very pretty!
Was in a early 60's box, but thats OK because I have an era correct reel to put in it
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

Couple more. The handle is gorgeous. Green is my favorite
-Chris

Maxed Out

Holy moly Batman.....looks like it just left the factory !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

You're right Robin... What a beauty.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.